FOLLOWING on from his lower body functional hypertrophy routine last week, not only has the Goff – S&C hero Cameron Goff – designed an upper body workout that aids the push towards similar goals, but he’s roped in one of his star pupils, Team GB boxer Chris Bourke, to demonstrate the whole thing on the video below. This functional hypertrophy upper body workout is designed to make you stronger and build your slow-twitch muscle fibres to help a fighter unleash a more devastating punch. This workout should be used at the start of camp in a four-week micro cycle and used at least two times per week, with shoulder pre-hab exercises to make your shoulders strong, healthy and less susceptible to injury.
Main upper body workout
1) Sub-max push presses – 2 sets, 10 reps
2) Floor presses – 4 sets, 6 reps, 90 seconds’-two minutes’ rest, 80 per cent load
3) Bench pulls – 4 sets, 6 reps, 90 seconds’-two minutes’ rest, 80 per cent load
4) Split-leg dumbbell presses – 3 sets, 8 reps, 90 seconds’ rest (by the seventh-eighth rep you must start to find it hard)
5) Weighted ring pulls – 3 sets, 8 reps, 90 seconds’ rest, 10 per cent load