2. Back Squat
Benefits of the Back Squat
* Strengthens the lower body and core. This has a large transfer to any sport that involves running, jumping, throwing or striking movements.
* Promotes a forceful hip extension, which important transferring force generated from floor to the hips and through to the core.
* Develops core strength, this is important for rotational velocity and effective mass during a punch.
* Can increase lean mass of the core, this is the most influential contributor to punching force.
* A large eccentric component to the lift will strengthen hamstrings and glutes, this develops an effective stretch shortening cycle whilst reducing the likelihood of injury.
* Studies show that the back squat improves jump height. From our own research, we know that the higher you jump is related to a harder punch, this is why the squat is prioritised in our strength programs.
Click below to see the next exercise.