History | Issue | Premium | Feb 11 2020

The exploits of Bristol’s Gary Chippendale and Peter Richards

Looking back at the careers of Bristol boys Gary Chippendale and Peter Richards
Gary Chippendale

I HAD an interesting chat last week with Craig Turner of Bristol. Craig has a well-established boxing pedigree and trains some of Bristol’s leading amateurs at the Gordon Hazell gym. He also has a good feel for some of the great fighters to have come from the city. He told me that two of Bristol’s leading fighters, Gary Chippendale and Peter Richards, have developed significant health problems in recent years and so I would like to remind readers about their exploits.

In the 1960s, Bristol’s leading fight venue was the Colston Hall and the promoter there was Len Munden. Len fought at the two top weights throughout most of the 1930s and he won the West of England light-heavyweight title at the Colston Hall in 1938 by stopping Fred Stabbins of Taunton in two rounds. His last fight was against Bruce Woodcock in 1942 on the undercard of the Len Harvey-Freddie Mills contest at White Hart Lane, Tottenham.

Munden staged his first show in Bristol in 1965 and had a hand in most of the tournaments held there until 1973, when he handed in his licence and became an inspector for the Western Area Council. On Len’s first show, in February 1965, he had Chippendale on the bill, and the two immediately struck up an exciting partnership, with Gary winning all six of his bouts at the hall inside the distance, before the year was out. Chippendale looked to be going places and the city was right behind him. Among the men to suffer from his lethal punching that year were Tommy Baldwin, Jimmy Assani and Jack Grant, and soon Gary was firmly ranked within the UK top 10 at middleweight. Richards, a lightweight, was also a regular performer at the hall, winning two of three contests for Len. Rocky James, Chris Cox and Dervan Airey were the other Bristol lads that Len used to sustain his regular bills.