MIDDLEWEIGHT contender Hamzah Sheeraz will return in September and then hopes to land a domestic cracker in December.
The undefeated 24-year-old has been out of action since November 26, 2022, when he ran through River Wilson-Bent in two rounds. That victory was his third of the year following wins against Francisco Emanuel Torres and Jez Smith.
Sheeraz is pencilled in for September 2 and a spot on the Zhang Zhilei-Joe Joyce 2 undercard, according to Boxing Scene.
Hand surgery delayed the return of Sheeraz in 2023 but he plans to make up for lost time beginning in September and then securing a fight against fellow Queensberry boxer Denzel Bentley in December.
“I don’t think that fight will be in September, but it could well be the December date if all goes well,” he told Boxing Scene.
“As long as I can get September out of the way then I want that to be the December one.
“We’ve both said we want the fight now so it’s about what our managers do and what Frank Warren says.”
Bentley challenged WBO middleweight ruler Zhanibek Alimkhanuly back in November but came up short despite going the distance. The British champion’s reputation has risen, however, on the back of his performance. In April Bentley got back to winning ways knocking out Kieran Smith in one round.
Last week Bentley v Sheeraz was ordered by the British Boxing Board of Control in their circular. Purse bids are due in by July 12.
“We are probably the biggest names in Britain at middleweight so it would be the chance to find out who is really number one. When the public are demanding something, it puts you in a whole different mindframe. It’s not about ‘why would I want to fight him?’ it’s more that you have no choice but to take the fight.”