News | Mar 08 2019

Gennady Golovkin plots course towards Canelo Alvarez trilogy

Gennady Golovkin sets time for comeback bout and, most crucially, reveals a long-term deal with a new broadcaster, writes John Dennen
Gennady Golovkin
Tom Hogan/GGG Promotions

MIDDLEWEIGHT Gennady Golovkin will see out the rest of his career with a new broadcaster, the DAZN streaming service.

He has not boxed since his defeat last September to Canelo Alvarez in Las Vegas but will have his comeback bout in June.

He has signed a six fight, three year deal with the platform that will, in all likelihood, lead him to a third fight with his great rival Canelo.

“DAZN has quickly become the new home of boxing by making the biggest events easily available to the fans,” said Golovkin. “When deciding on where I wanted to continue my career, DAZN’s global vision perfectly matched my goals – not just for my career but the opportunity to showcase talented Eastern European fighters to the world. Thank you to my fans for all of the loyal support and I look forward to you joining me on DAZN.”

Gennady Golovkin

“Gennady Golovkin is a generational talent with international appeal,” said DAZN Group Executive Chairman John Skipper. “We’re confident he will bring his passionate fans to the platform as we produce tentpole events with his team over the next several years.”

DAZN now have the world’s top middleweights under their banner. Canelo and Danny Jacobs will box to unify the WBC, WBA and IBF world titles on May 4. Demetrius Andrade, the WBO champion, is also a DAZN fighter. With Golovkin joining the same platform the path towards further 160lbs super-fights has been cleared.

Previously Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez discussed the prospect of a trilogy between “GGG” and Canelo with Boxing News. “The whole team was very disappointed in the politics of this game,” he said of the first fight. “But you have to get over those things, you have to get over and continue the quest for what your goals are. I think Gennady has some goals he hasn’t accomplished yet.”

“We have to go by what the judges say, we were voted against and we lost the fight. We don’t feel we lost the fight, we feel we won the fight, as a lot of fans do. There may be a third one where they decide if the first two were not correct. Both guys fought a great fight. They entertained us, hopefully they do it again,” Sanchez added.

“I think that we have to do what’s best for Gennady and best for the sport of boxing. If that’s in the future, if that’s what the fans want, if that’s what the fans are calling for, then hopefully it happens.”