YESTERDAY, Boxing News revealed that Floyd Mayweather had the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on hold for August 26, sparking speculation that the announcement of a fight with Conor McGregor was imminent.
However, we have obtained new information which apparently torpedoes those rumours – neither Mayweather nor McGregor have been granted a boxing licence by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
McGregor has applied for a licence, but has not yet given over the relevant documentation, while Mayweather – who retired in 2015 – is yet to even apply for a new one.
“We have not received all the documents for McGregor, Mayweather has not applied for his licence, thus at this time there is no request for the fight,” NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett told Boxing News.
While Bennett could not be drawn on the August 26 boxing event on the NSAC calendar, it is being reported that Mayweather has withdrawn his original request for that date at the MGM Grand.
Told by two sources @FloydMayweather has retracted request to Nevada for Aug. 26 fight date.
— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) June 13, 2017
McGregor, who would be making his professional boxing debut against Mayweather, recently teased some “big” news while Floyd has been sparring southpaws in his Las Vegas gym, supposedly in preparation for port-sider McGregor.
While neither man is licenced in Nevada, it would be relatively easy for both to get licences and Bennett has previously told us he would be glad to sanction the fight in Vegas. The August 26 date sits three weeks before Gennady Golovkin’s mouth-watering clash with Canelo Alvarez at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.