News | Nov 20 2018

EXCLUSIVE Darren Barker on coming back to fight Sergio Martinez

Darren Barker explains all about those comeback plans, writes Elliot Worsell
Darren Barker
Action Images

DARREN BARKER, the former IBF middleweight champion, has a message for anyone intrigued by the prospect of seeing him return to the ring: Don’t call it a comeback. No, seriously, don’t call it a comeback.

Following rumours last week, the 36-year-old Londoner is keen to distance himself from talk of a potential comeback and says he would only ever be tempted to return if offered a rematch against Sergio Martinez at Wembley Stadium.

“I was asked, if I was to make a comeback, who would I want to fight? I said Sergio Martinez,” Barker, retired since 2014, told Boxing News. “The power of the internet then saw it blow up.”