CHARLES MARTIN is attempting to rebuild. His reign as world champion was less than glorious. He collected the then vacant IBF heavyweight title in 2016 when Vyacheslav Glazkov’s knee collapsed beneath him inside the third round. It took Anthony Joshua a mere two rounds to relieve Martin of his title.
It seemed the American would fade into obscurity. He had two low key bouts in 2017, boxing in Alexandria and Tunica. But on Saturday (September 8), he has a chance to claw his way back to the big time. Martin fight Adam Kownacki on the Danny Garcia-Shawn Porter undercard at the Barclays Center in New York.
“I’m going to go in there and put on a show. I’m going to get myself back to the position I want to be. That’s at the top of the heavyweight division,” Martin says. “I’m in phenomenal shape. I’ve been working hard for two and a half months. We’re back to where we need to be and you’ll see it on Saturday.
“Training in the altitude in California is rough, but it’s great once you get here and feel great. That’s why you work so hard to get in shape, so you can be twice as good on fight night.
“There are a lot of great heavyweights out there. I’m glad that people are giving it the acclaim they deserve. I think all of those guys are beatable and I look forward for my chance to prove it.”
Kownacki however says, “After Saturday night, everybody will know my name. I’m the next great heavyweight here in America. I want to make my splash on the national scene.
“Last year against Artur Szpilka was an appetizer and this is my main course for really making myself known as a threat to everyone at heavyweight.
“I can’t wait to hear the Polish fans and see the red and white. It’s going to be another awesome atmosphere and I’m definitely coming to send those fans home happy.
“I feel like I’ve been getting better and better as I get more recognition. A world title fight is not that far in my future. I’m focused on beating Charles Martin first and letting my performance speak for itself.”