CALLUM JOHNSON is out of his British light-heavyweight title fight with Frank Buglioni. Johnson was due to challenge the champion on Saturday (October 28) on the undercard of Anthony Joshua vs Carlos Takam at the Principality stadium in Cardiff.
Last week Johnson was struck down by an ailment, suffering from serious pains in the right hand side of his chest. He was checked into hospital on Tuesday and kept under observation until Friday. Tests are being run to diagnose the problem.
On social media Johnson said, “There’s no one more gutted than me I’m truly devastated and I’m truly sorry to everyone that was going to support me.
“I’ve put a lot of hard work into training and sacrificed being away a lot from my family and my 2 boys. I’m missing out on a childhood dream and adding another achievement to mine and my dad’s collection. And also losing a few quid on top of it all as we don’t get paid when we don’t fight.
“I’m hoping everything will all be OK and I’ll be fighting fit again very soon and the fight can be rescheduled for a later date.”
— Matchroom Boxing (@MatchroomBoxing) October 23, 2017
Craig Richards has been permitted to challenge Buglioni for the British light-heavyweight title. Richards is a 9-0 (3) super-middleweight.
“Credit to Richards stepping up to the plate. Result however, stays the same,” Buglioni said.