News

Boxing News Notebook – Kell Brook makes weight for Terence Crawford title challenge

Kell Brook
Updates from the Boxing News team over the course of the week

November 13: FOR the first time since 2017 and his IBF title fight with Errol Spence, Kell Brook has made welterweight. He scaled 147lbs in Las Vegas on Friday and his WBO welterweight title fight with Terence Crawford is very much on. Crawford scaled 146.4lbs and both men look primed and ready. Read our breakdown of the fight here.

***

November 13: ALL six boxers taking part in a historic women’s attraction on Saturday made the contracted weights ahead of the Wembley SSE Arena card. Katie Taylor (134.5lbs) defends her undisputed lightweight title against Miriam Gutierrez (134.4lbs), Terri Harper (129.3lbs) makes the second defence of her WBC super-featherweight belt against Katherina Thanderz (129.7lbs) while Rachel Ball (121.9lbs) will contest the vacant WBC Interim super-bantamweight title against substitute, Jorgelina Guanini. Because Guanini came in at short notice, she had to scale within 4lbs of the divisional limit; she made it at 125.4lbs. Read the BN preview, with predictions on each fight, here.

***

November 12: Carl Frampton and Barry McGuigan resolved the legal battle when the case was settled before it was due to resume at Belfast High Court. Frampton stated he was ‘exceptionally happy’ with the settlement while McGuigan said he was ‘pleased’ to move on. Read the BN report on the case.

***

November 12: Mark Heffron and Denzel Bentley both made weight for Friday’s British middleweight title fight, each scaling 159lbs. Read the full fight preview HERE.

***

November 12: On this day Aaron Pryor defeated Alexis Arguello in brutal and controversial encounter. Look back at the fight here.

***

November 12: In the latest Boxing News Podcast Chris Eubank relives the horror of fighting Nigel Benn, 30 years on. Listen HERE

***

November 12: IT is being reported that Callum Smith, the WBA super-middleweight champion, might take on Canelo Alvarez – now a free agent after unshackling himself from contracts with both DAZN and Golden Boy Promotions – in Texas on December 18,19 or 20. Eddie Hearn, Smith’s promoter, told Boxing Scene that talks between the two camps are ‘ongoing’ and Team Canelo indicated Smith was one of several options for the Mexican superstar. Meanwhile, ESPN stated Canelo-Smith ‘will’ happen. Last week IBF super-middleweight champion, Caleb Plant, was the frontrunner. He spoke to Boxing News and insisted Canelo was in his future but wouldn’t be drawn on exactly when. Alongside Smith and Plant, the name of John Ryder, who lost to Callum 12 months ago, has been mentioned as a potential Canelo opponent.

***

November 11: IT’S a relief to know that Kell Brook and Terence Crawford have come through the first (of two) COVID-19 tests ahead of their WBO welterweight title fight in Las Vegas on Saturday. Boxing News subscribers can read exclusive columns from Brook here and Crawford here.

***

November 11: AFTER recovering from a horrendous car accident, Errol Spence has been speaking to the press ahead of his December 5 defence of the IBF and WBC welterweight titles against Danny Garcia at the AT&T stadium in Arlington, Texas. “It’s up to me to make a big splash coming back from my car accident. Lesser opponents were for before I became champion. I finally got to the top, where I can fight the big names, so I’m not going backward. These are the guys I’ve wanted to fight forever,” Spence said. ” “The accident just made me hungrier and even more focused. I have the same hunger now that I had before I won the title.”

***

November 11: TWENTY years ago Lennox Lewis dominated David Tua. Cast your mind back to that fight HERE.

***

November 11: The Denzel Bentley-Mark Heffron rematch remains on course but three bouts have fallen off the show after Michael Rambaletsa, Kaisy Khademi and Masood Abdulah, last year’s ABA champion looking to make his pro debut, tested positive for coronavirus.

***

November 11: Derrick Osaze was unable to box on the undercard of Tuesday night’s Boxxer tournament. It’s another stroke of bad luck for an inspirational fighter. You can read an interview with him, written before his bout was cancelled, here. The show did go on; Zak Chelli bounced back from his draw with Jack Cullen in August to win the tournament.

***

November 10: These are uncertain times in boxing and big fights can fall through. Luke Campbell failed a coronavirus test, forcing him into isolation and forcing his excellent lightweight clash with Ryan Garcia off their agreed December 5 date. The promoters of the fight are looking to rearrange for a later date. According to Kevin Iole (Yahoo): “But De La Hoya said Campbell is in the late stages of quarantine and said he hopes the fight will be rescheduled for either Dec. 18 or Dec. 19.”

Boxing news – Newsletter

Current Issue