Boxing News At Five

Boxing News at Five: Porter offers himself up to Pacquiao, Wilder says Fury wants no part of him, Chavez Jnr is reborn

Deontay Wilder
Action Images/Reuters/Andrew Couldridge
Shawn Porter calls out Manny Pacquiao for 2020 fight, Deontay Wilder says Tyson Fury is scared of his power, and Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr sees the light

FORMER two-time world welterweight titlist Shawn Porter (30-3-1, 17 KOs) dropped a split decision decision to Errol Spence in September and lost his WBC title in the process. The announcement that Danny Garcia is next in line for Spence means that the 32-year-old will not be getting a rematch anytime soon and he has to work out his next move.

“I wasn’t expecting Danny to get in the ring (after the fight),” said Porter when speaking to FS1’s Inside PBC Boxing “I know that’s how the promotion goes. You always got to say what’s next. I understand.”

Porter, though, had a word of warning for Spence following his recent car crash; he believes that his former foe should make sure he takes as much time as possible to ensure that he is in fine physical and mettle fettle for Garcia.

“I do think that it’s way too soon,” Porter said when he heard that the Garcia fight could take place early in 2020. “You have to take into consideration that he has to recover from the injuries he suffered. Then he has to recover emotionally. Going through something like that is very traumatic.”

As for Porter, he is still eyeing big fights and has thrown name into the mix for a future meeting with Manny Pacquaio. “The whole [Spence] promotion was leading up to who would fight Manny Pacquaio next…Danny got in the ring and called (Spence) out. So, I want to get in there and call Manny out. Let’s see what happens.”

Shawn Porter
Porter remains in the mix at 147 (Stephanie Trapp/TGB)

Deontay Wilder (41-0-1, 40 KOs) rematches Luis Ortiz (31-1, 26 early) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on November 23, but “The Bronze Bomber” still has former foe Tyson Fury (29-0-1, 20 stoppages) on his mind. He is adamant that Fury’s recent foray into the WWE is a clear indication that he is not keen on a rematch with the man who floored him twice when they fought to a draw for Wilder’s WBC belt last December.

“I don’t think he ever wanted it,” said Wilder (41-0-1, 40 KOs) when taking part in a open workout earlier this week (quotes C/O BoxingScene). “I don’t think he ever wanted the rematch because I have power. I look at it over and over — even when I look at my fights, I look at it as a fan. How he got dropped. I can understand him running.”

Despite Wilder’s skepticism, Frank Warren has used his weekly to column to assure fans that the rematch will happen; he also believes that Fury’s storied recent history has turned him into an even bigger name in the States than his American rival.

‘With everything that goes into piecing major heavyweight showdowns together in this day and age there is always going to be significant chunks of time between fights,’ wrote Warren.

‘The Tyson we are seeing now is not sitting about binging and piling on the pounds during his downtime, he is putting himself out there and breaking new frontiers. Yes he will have been fulfilling the dream of his son to see him get to grips with the WWE superstars and yes he will have been paid a nice few quid to do so. But, more than that, Tyson knows the score and would have been fully aware that he was seriously tapping into a new family audience who love an entertainer.’

Fury hopes to top the UK charts courtesy of a duet with Robbie Williams in December. He suffered two severe cuts against Otto Wallin in September and Warren believes it is only natural that the “Gypsy King” wants to expand his profile while the wounds heal. He also argued that Fury is a victim of his own high profile, but still believes that the Wilder rematch will happen should Wilder beat Ortiz again later this month.

‘That is what Tyson is — along with being an elite-level heavyweight and the best in the business — and there is even talk of him performing a duet with Robbie Williams to bring us all some festive cheer,’ he stated.

‘Tyson is now a man in demand and the reason for this is because he is a personality. One that people can relate and warm to. It is just a shame that he had to suffer those wasted years when the negativity aimed in his direction ultimately ended up getting the better of him. Now he has found his true self again and the real Tyson is coming out.

‘There is another major beneficiary in all this. Everything Tyson does is making fortunes for Deontay Wilder. The best thing that happened to Deontay Wilder is Tyson Fury — that is for sure. Deontay tries hard to make himself a household name in his homeland, but it is Tyson who will sell this fight to the masses and he is the game changer.

‘Our man, mercifully, came through his rough and tumble unscathed and will be ready for his February date with destiny. Over to you Deontay. Do your thing against Luis Ortiz on November 23 and then we will get the fight we have all been waiting for.’

Tyson Fury
Deontay Wilder says Tyson Fury wants no part of him (Press Association)

Julio Cesar Chavez (51-3-1, 33 KOs) has told Manouk Akopyan of BoxingScene that he is still young enough to bounce back from the many, many mistakes he has made during his boxing career and that he can still have a run at the major titles. Now training under Freddie Roach, Chavez says he has ditched all the negative influences that were holding him back and feels better than ever.

Chavez meets Danny Jacobs in a Super middleweight fight in Arizona on December 20; the fight was moved from Las Vegas after Chavez skipped a random drug test in October. He has served two bans for the misuse of drugs in the past yet still insists that he can claw things back over what remains of his career.

“I was distracting my career for the last three-to-four years doing stupid things,” he added. “That created a lot of problems. Now that I’m older, I know what I want, and that’s the most important thing. Daniel Jacobs is a very good fighter. As someone who beat cancer, he also understands life. I understand life better now too. It will be a great.”

The 33-year-old also revealed that he feels rejuvenated now that he is spending some time with a different kind of roach in current coach Freddie Roach. “I know I needed Freddie Roach’s style and throwing more punches,” he said.

“I feel great, because Freddie helped me a lot in my life. I’ve had a lot of inactivity, but my best style is inside. I’m going to try and pressure him because distance is not the best for me. He’s not a big puncher, but he’s fast. He knows how to throw punches. He’s a complete fighter who uses the ring well.”

Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr
Chavez feels rejuvenated (Zanfer Box)

It is nice when fighters show genuine mutual respect and that was certainly the case following Naoya Inoue’s (19-0, 16 KOs) decision win over Nonito Donaire (40-6, 26 KOs) in yesterday’s WBSS WBC and IBF bantamweight final, which took place in Japan and lived up to all the pre-fight hype. Donaire had promised to bring the Muhammad Ali trophy home to his children only for the decision defeat to make a liar of him.

When he mentioned this to his opponent, Inoue kindly let him take the trophy home one night to help him keep his promise to his children. The two men were class acts before and during the fight, and they continue to impress as the dust settles on their fight of the year candidate.

Inoue and Donaire went to war in Japan

Boxing news – Newsletter

Current Issue