CANELO ALVAREZ has been given a “lucrative” offer to face David Benavidez according to the 26-year-old’s promoter.
An open letter from Sampson Lewkowicz to Eddy Reynoso was sent in response to recent comments from Canelo’s trainer and manager.
Las month it was reported that Lewkowicz and Reynoso had met one another to discuss the potential all-Mexican super-middleweight showdown. The former said he would send an offer, but the latter denied ever receiving one.
The letter from Lewkowicz, which was published on social media today (Thursday), said the following:
“Dear Eddy Reynoso,
“Since you have chosen to conduct our negotiations for David Benavidez to face Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in public I’m forced to correct a few mistakes you made in claiming you haven’t received any offers.
“On Monday May 29 at 4:45pm, I emailed you what I’m sure would be one of the most lucrative offers of Canelo Alvarez’s career to face Benavidez.
“Please know that you do indeed have an offer to face Benavidez, a sizeable one, and I must tell you that I’m offended by your claim that I’m “fantasizing” about making this fight happen.
“If you are also unable to find this open letter and no one tells you about it, would anyone who knows him please let Eddy know that I will send this same offer any time for him to communicate to Canelo Alvarez.
“All he needs to do is provide a working email address, apparently.
For sake of clarity Boxing News must add that Mr Lewkowicz’ Twitter account @SampsonBoxing retweeted the image of the email posted by @TRUBoxingHeadz. Mr Lewkowicz also posted the first of the two images of said correspondence himself.
Prior to that on May 31 Eddy Reynoso (@CANELOTEAM) wrote, “For now, the 3 promoters who lead the business are Matchroom-PBC-Top Rank and none have sent me any offers to fight in September!”
Eleven days earlier Lewkowicz tweeted, “I had the pleasure and honor of sharing a meeting with @CANELOTEAM and Luis De Cuba Jr for the @Canelo Unified Champion Match where next week I will send you an official offer for you to analyze and make a decision on your future challenger @wbcmoro.”
Lewkowicz attached images of him standing next to Reynoso as proof of the meet.
Modern day boxing is no stranger to public negotiations where the @ symbol is looked at as just as powerful as any other form of dialogue.
Canelo has publicly stated that his ideal opponent for September would be Dmitry Bivol. The world’s best 168lb fighter wants to avenge his loss from May 2022. He is also on record insisting that he wants everything to be the same as their first bout which means moving back up to light-heavyweight to take on the Russian.
In the 12 months since his second loss the 32-year-old has beaten Gennadiy Golovkin on points in their trilogy fight and last month was taken the distance by John Ryder in Guadalajara.
Benavidez, seen as one of the few fighters who could provide a third defeat on Canelo’s record, last fought in March against Caleb Plant. Their grudge match saw Benavidez pull away in the second half of the fight showing signs of his destructive power-punching style which has helped him reach a 27-0 (23) record.