News

Badou Jack pips George Groves to shot at Anthony Dirrell

George Groves must fight the winner of Anthony Dirrell-Badou Jack

THE WBC have confirmed that their super-middleweight champion, Anthony Dirrell, will make a voluntary defence against No.10 contender, Badou Jack, on April 24.

The winner of that bout will have to face mandatory contender, George Groves.

“The WBC silver champion George Groves is confirmed and the winner of Dirrell vs. Jack must fight Groves without any intervening fights,” said the WBC. “The free negotiations period for such mandatory fight will begin immediately on Monday April 26th.”

Shortly after winning the title from Sakio Bika – who challenges WBC light-heavyweight boss Adonis Stevenson on April 4 – Dirrell told Boxing News he had no interest in facing Groves because he had been knocked out twice by Carl Froch and had done nothing to merit another chance. He faces being stripped of his title if he continues to ignore the challenge of the Englishman.

SUBSCRIBE TO BOXING NEWS – established in 1909 – FOR JUST £5.99

Boxing news – Newsletter

Current Issue