News | Jun 30 2015

Anthony Joshua off July 18 bill but will box on September 12 at the O2

Tony Thompson and Mariusz Wach are among the likely next opponents for Joshua, writes John Dennen
Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko
Joshua  |  Action Images

OLYMPIC gold medallist Anthony Joshua will not fight on the July 18 bill at the Manchester Arena. Martin Murray will fill in on that show, while Joshua is now scheduled to take a significant bout at the O2 in London on September 12.

“He’s got 11 weeks now which is the perfect time for a full camp. You’re going to see him box a lot less now as time goes on,” said promoter Eddie Hearn. Joshua has finished all his professional bouts inside the distance so far but challenging opponents are being lined up for him. Poland’s Mariusz Wach or even Tony Thompson could be next.

“I like the Mariusz Wach fight. I think that’s a good solid test for Joshua but no one knows who Mariusz Wach is. But it’s a good fight for his development,” said Hearn. Wach has been the distance with Wladimir Klitschko and Thompson has fought the heavyweight ruler twice. “You’ve got Gary Cornish but I think he’s staying up in Scotland. David Price will hopefully win the European title but he won’t be fighting Joshua on September 12,” the promoter noted. “I like the Tony Thompson fight personally. That’s a great fight for Joshua, it’s a great yardstick on others. It’s an interesting fight and the public know who Tony Thompson is through the David Price fights.”