- MUHAMMAD ALI vs JOE FRAZIER III
Trainer Eddie Futch pulled Joe out after 14 ferocious rounds of the 1975 Thrilla in Manila.
- JOEY MAXIM vs SUGAR RAY ROBINSON
Ray was well ahead in this 1952 bid for the world light-heavyweight title when exhaustion from the New York heat forced him to withdraw.
- MUHAMMAD ALI vs SONNY LISTON I
An ageing Liston blamed a damaged shoulder muscle for his surprising decision to stay on his stool after six rounds against the young Ali in 1964.
- VIC TOWEEL vs DANNY O’SULLIVAN
O’Sullivan suffered an amazing 14 knockdowns in this 1950 world bantamweight title bid, before pulling out after 10 rounds.
- JAKE LAMOTTA vs MARCEL CERDAN
Jake became world middle champion in 1949 when a useless shoulder forced Cerdan to quit after the 10th.
- JOHNNY VAN RENSBURG vs WILLIE TOWEEL
A broken hand forced Toweel to pull out after nine rounds against bitter rival Van Rensburg in 1955.
- ROBERTO CASTANON vs DANIEL LONDAS
In 1982, Castanon won the European super-feather title when the towel came into the ring during round nine – although it subsequently emerged it had been flung by a fan!
- HOWARD WINSTONE vs TERRY SPINKS
Winstone became British feather king when Spinks withdrew exhausted after 10 one-sided rounds in 1961.
- LARRY HOLMES vs MUHAMMAD ALI
In 1980, Ali’s ill-advised comeback saw him pummelled for 10 rounds, before finally withdrawing.
- RICKY HATTON vs KOSTYA TSZYU
Hatton became IBF 140lb champion when trainer Johnny Lewis kept Tszyu in his corner after 11 rounds in 2005.