July 7, 2017
July 7, 2017
Boxing Betting

Feedspot followFeedly follow

THE WBO have agreed to review Jeff Horn’s upset decision victory over Manny Pacquiao after a Filipino government department requested the “unfair” result be addressed.

Horn took Pacquiao’s WBO welterweight title in Brisbane last weekend on scores of 115-113 twice and 117-111, though many feel the 38-year-old Filipino deserved victory.

WBO President Francisco Valcarcel has made it clear that they will not reverse the result of the fight – as they do not have the authority – but they will re-score it themselves independently.

“I would be very grateful if the GAB [Filipino Games and Amusements Board] can provide any evidence indicating fraud or violation of law,” he said in a statement.

“The purpose of this review is to be able to give the fans certainty of who was the winner of the bout, even though we do not have the power to reverse the decision of the judges.”

Five anonymous judges will review the bout, assigning their own scores to rounds. “Then, we will tabulate the results to ascertain clearly which rounds each fighter won using an average scale based on 60, 80 and 100 per cent,” Valcarcel said. “This means that three of the five officials have to agree to determine which fighter won the round.”

Valcarcel also backed the three scoring judges of Pacquiao-Horn; Chris Flores, Ramon Cerdan and Waleska Roldan, whose 117-111 tally has come under considerable fire.

Pacquiao threw his weight behind the review, adding: “On my part, I had already accepted the decision but as a leader and, at the same time fighter, I have the moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness in the eyes of the public.”

Pacquiao has a contractual right to a rematch, though he has not yet decided on what his next step will be, having fielded numerous calls for him to retire.

To see how Boxing News scored the fight, click here.