May 30, 2018
May 30, 2018
Vasyl Lomachenko

Mikey Williams/Top Rank

Feedspot followFeedly follow

NEWLY crowned three-weight world champion Vasyl Lomachenko will not be returning to action in August as had been expected.

After Lomachenko stopped former champion Jorge Linares in the 10th round to become WBA lightweight world champion, the Ukrainian’s promoter, Bob Arum revealed an August return was planned, with WBO titlist Ray Beltran the rumoured target.

However, Lomachenko confirmed via Instagram that he had suffered a torn labrum injury in the second round of his title win.

He wrote: “Tomorrow I undergo surgery for a torn labrum in my right shoulder suffered during the second round of my fight against Jorge Linares. I was aware something was not right with my shoulder straight away, but I could not disappoint my fans with excuses. Thank you for the overwhelming kind words I’ve already received. I’ll be back in the ring THIS year.”

After Lomachenko visited orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache who has previously worked on the likes of Vitali Klitschko, Kobe Bryant and Tom Brady, the 30 year-old spoke to ESPN to detail his injury.

“I couldn’t use my right arm to throw my right hook, and it was very uncomfortable to continue my fight” said Lomachenko.

Dr. ElAttrache further told ESPN after an examination it was clear Lomachenko had dislocated his shoulder and cited there was “significant instability of his right shoulder”.

Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jorge Linares

The doctor will perform a 60 to 90 minute arthroscopic procedure and predicted Lomachenko will be fit to train by October for a December return.

Promoter Arum and manager Egis Klimas were present at the exam and reportedly insisted if no further complications there boxer will return for a December 8, Top Rank main-event.

 

Beltran will now look at other contenders to make the first defence of the title he won against Paulus Moses in February, with the winner then likely to meet Lomachenko in the December date.