OKAY, let’s get this out of the way first. If you’re going to gamble, make sure you’re 18 years old and you’re doing it sensibly and your stake is no more than what you can afford to lose because, in all likelihood, you are going to lose.
But, and let’s be honest, for many boxing fans – particularly educated fans like you – a little bet is an essential part of enjoying the fight. Particularly a fight like tonight’s barnburner that pits Chris Eubank Jr against WBA super-middleweight champion George Groves, a scrap that began life as torrid sparring wars, and has split opinion like only the best matchups can.
Looking at the odds HERE, it’s easy to see why punters are going all Nostradamus and betting on a round that the fight will finish.
For example, if you were to place £5 on George Groves to win in round six, a session where – if you study his form over the years – the Hammersmith star is generally at his most precise and ferocious, you will collect an inviting £130 to put towards your summer holiday fund if you’re correct.
Similarly, if you believe what the whispers from the Chris Eubank Jr camp are telling us, and that is he will jump all over Groves early, force mistakes and openings and the referee to rescue Groves in round seven, then your £5 stake will net you a cool £95.
Furthermore, if the early stages are as ferocious as many people are predicting – and given the nature of their sparring wars, it’s unlikely there will be much of a ‘feeling out’ process – it’s perfectly feasible that a stoppage could occur in the opening three sessions. Spread your bets around there, say £2 on rounds one, two and three for both Groves and Eubank, and you will find that you have, at the very least, quadrupled your £12 investment should the end come within nine minutes of action.
However, while the long odds on an early finish, or indeed a stoppage at any point between round one and 12 are tempting, fights between two elite fighters like this often go the full route. It’s true that Groves was stopped by Carl Froch but to suggest Eubank has punch like the one the Cobra uncorked in the rematch is a stretch.
Likewise, Eubank Jr may find that Groves hits harder than anyone he’s shared a prize ring with before, but sturdy chins like Martin Murray, Glen Johnson and Christopher Rebrasse all went 12 and it follows that the Brightonian can survive too.
So the smart money – in my eyes at least – is to place your funds, those you can afford to lose don’t forget, on it going to distance.
Even the draw, at 20-1, is worth looking at.
Sign up, deposit £5 or more to your account and bet365 will match your qualifying deposit in Bet Credits when you place qualifying bets to the same value and they are settled. Min odds/bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. T&Cs, time limits & exclusions apply.
Significant Terms and Conditions
- Available to new customers only. Make a qualifying deposit of £5* or more and claim the offer within 30 days of registering your account to qualify for a 100% matched amount in Bet Credits, up to a maximum of £100*. Once claimed, your Bet Credits will be held in your account balance and are non-withdrawable.
- To release your Bet Credits for use, you must place qualifying bets to the value of your qualifying deposit (capped at €100*) and they must settle within 30 days of claiming the offer. Only qualifying bets settled after claiming the offer will count towards this requirement.
- Deposits made using NETeller, Skrill or Skrill 1-Tap will not count as your qualifying deposit.
- Bets placed must meet certain conditions to count towards the release of your Bet Credits:
- Must contain at least one selection at odds of 1/5 (1.20) or greater.
- In market/fixture combinations that only have two or three potential outcomes (for example Soccer Full Time Result), where you have placed bets on more than one potential outcome, either pre-match or In-Play, only the outcome with your highest cumulative stake will count.
- Where a stake has been partially Cashed Out, only the remaining active stake will count.
- Where a bet has been edited using our Edit Bet feature, only the new stake on the new bet will count.
- Fully Cashed Out, Instant Games, Gaming, void bets or bets placed via our Telephone Betting service will not count.
- Your Bet Credits are non-withdrawable, and Bet Credits stakes are not included in any returns. Any returns from Bet Credits placed will be added to your Withdrawable Balance. Bet Credits cannot be used on certain products, offers/promotions and bet types. See full Terms and Conditions for details.
- Your Bet Credits will be forfeit and removed if your account is inactive for 90 consecutive days.
‘18+ Gamble Responsibly https://www.begambleaware.org/’