September 24, 2014
September 24, 2014
Saul Alvarez of Mexico celebrates after

Saul Alvarez of Mexico celebrates after knocking out opponent Carlos Baldomir of Argentina during their WBC Super Welterweight Silver Title fight at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, on September 18, 2010. AFP PHOTO/Mark RALSTON (Photo credit should read MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images)

Feedspot followFeedly follow

GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS’ Oscar De La Hoya, HBO Sports President Ken Hershman, and superstar boxer SaulCanelo Álvarez today announced a major new agreement to showcase the fighter’s matches on HBO Sports.

“For all of my career, I have wanted to fight on HBO for one main reason-I believe it will allow more of my fans to see me in action,” said Álvarez , 44-1-1 ( 31). “Today marks a huge milestone for me, and I look forward to a long and successful partnership with HBO.”

Álvarez, a light-middleweight known for his tremendous punching power, made his pro debut in 2005 at 15 years old and quickly became one of the most popular prizefighters in the sport. His exciting fighting style and reputation for taking on all comers has captured the attention of fans all around the world.

“Everyone at HBO is excited to welcome back Canelo Álvarez to the HBO family, and we can’t wait to re-introduce him to our subscribers,” said Ken Hershman, president of HBO Sports. “At only 24 years old, Canelo has already established himself as one of the boxing world’s brightest stars, and we look forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship as we embark on this new chapter together. We are delighted to partner with Oscar de la Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions in presenting Canelo’s fights and events on our various platforms.”

The award-winning network has a 40-year history of presenting the best fights on television. Canelo has previously fought seven times on HBO platforms in his pro career; three times on the HBO Boxing After Dark series in 2011 against Kermit Cintron, Matthew Hatton and Ryan Rhodes, and four on the HBO Pay-Per-View platform versus Jose Miguel Cotto (2010), Carlos “Tata” Baldomir (2010), Alfonso Gomez (2011) and Sugar Shane Mosley (2012).

“I’m thrilled to be part of this historic agreement between Canelo Álvarez and HBO Sports, an agreement that marks another major step in Golden Boy Promotions’ primary goal-to give boxing fans the fights they want to see,” said Oscar de la Hoya, founder of Golden Boy Promotions. “Canelo is the best young fighter in the sport, and this move will help line him up to fight top opponents in the sport for many years to come.”

A former world champion, Canelo is eager to once again hold a title belt. His record includes victories over some of the best fighters in the light-middleweight division including Austin “No Doubt” Trout, Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo, Sugar Shane Mosley and most recently the dangerous southpaw, Erislandy Lara. Canelo’s lone blemish in 46 fights came in September 2013 against Floyd “Money” Mayweather in the highest grossing bout of all time, further cementing Canelo’s stature as boxing’s next superstar fighter.