THE mooted crossover fight between Floyd Mayweather and UFC star Conor McGregor looks like it may have found a date and venue.
No deal has yet been struck or announced, but all signs point toward the two money-making machines meeting in a bizarre boxing match later this year.
McGregor recently teased something ‘big’ on the horizon, having previously claimed his side of the deal is signed and sealed.
According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s website, Mayweather Promotions have got the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on hold for August 26.
Mayweather fought the last 12 fights of his glittering career in that venue. He announced his retirement after dominating Andre Berto in September 2015, but has since said he would return to the ring for a fight with McGregor.
The NSAC’s schedule also states that the promotion on that date at the MGM Grand would be broadcast by Showtime, who Mayweather had an exclusive deal with before retiring, prompting general manager of Showtime Stephen Espinoza to recently tell Boxing News that they would expect to be a part of the fight, should it happen.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) June 11, 2017
While this recent development is by no means confirmation that the fight is happening, it certainly adds fuel to the fire. Mayweather Promotions do not currently promote anyone who could legitimately headline a Showtime card at the MGM Grand, making it possible that they have pencilled in the venue on August 26 for a fight between Floyd and Conor.
Neither Showtime nor Mayweather Promotions have announced a card for that date, and there is no entry for it in either of their schedules online.
It was believed that Mayweather and McGregor were looking at a September date, but when Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin was confirmed for the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on September 16, they may have made other plans. Rather than clash with Canelo-Golovkin – a far, far superior fight on paper – Mayweather-McGregor could go three weeks before in a bid to scoop up pay-per-view buys (Canelo-Golovkin will be on HBO PPV).
Toward the end of his career Mayweather exclusively fought in May and September, generating record amounts of money. August is traditionally a quiet month in the boxing calendar.
Former Mayweather opponent Miguel Cotto fights Yoshihiro Kamegai on August 26 in California, with HBO broadcasting – but not on PPV.
NSAC chief Bob Bennett has also previously told us that he would love for Mayweather-McGregor to take place in Las Vegas, with McGregor even applying for a boxing licence there. Though he is a hugely successful mixed martial artist, the Irishman would be making his professional boxing debut against former pound-for-pound king Mayweather, making it a huge mismatch on paper.
Boxing News is waiting for a response from the NSAC about these latest developments.