Don't miss out on all the breaking boxing news. Sign up for FREE now.

September 16, 2018
September 16, 2018
Canelo Alvarez

Tom Hogan/Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions

Feedspot followFeedly follow

SAUL CANELO ALVAREZ is open to the idea of a third fight against Gennady Golovkin after taking a points decision and the Kazakh’s WBC and WBA middleweight titles in Las Vegas.

Billed Canelo v GGG II, the fight came nearly a year to the day since a split-decision draw left Golovkin stunned.

And Triple G was stunned again with a tight decision favouring the Mexican – on the eve of his country’s Independence Day – with two judges scoring the fight 115-113 and the third 114-114.

Golovkin Alvarez Boxing
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, left, Gennady Golovkin battle in Las Vegas (Steve Marcus/AP)

Speaking after the fight, Canelo said: “If the people want a third fight, we will do it again. But for now, I want to enjoy the moment with my family and my people.

“But if they want us to do it again, no doubt. He’s a great fighter but I’m a great fighter and I showed it tonight.”

Alvarez’s six-month ban after testing positive for clenbuterol – he claimed the positive test came from eating contaminated meat – scuppered the first prospective rematch date earlier this year.

So expectations were high as the pair went toe to toe in the highly anticipated bout at the T-Mobile Arena.

Saul
Saul “Canelo” Alvarez celebrates victory (Isaac Brekken/AP)

Canelo controlled the pace but Golovkin was better with the jab in the early stages, almost a reversal of last September.

Canelo got in some strong body work in the second half of the fight but, into the 12th round, it was the champion who was pushing harder, landing a left-hook and uppercut.

Going into the final three minutes, all three judges had it at 105-104 in favour of the challenger with the Mexican’s strong chin and even stronger resolve saw him go the distance and take the straps as Golovkin tasted defeat for the first time in 40 fights.

Golovkin left the ring without speaking, but later said: “I’m not going to say who won tonight because the victory belongs to Canelo according to the judges.

“I thought it was a very good fight for the fans and very exciting. I thought I fought better than he did.”

More reaction from Gennady Golovkin HERE

September 16, 2018
September 16, 2018
Canelo Alvarez

Tom Hogan/Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions

Feedspot followFeedly follow

IN what will surely go down as one of the closest and most hard-fought middleweight title fights in recent history, Canelo Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs) went toe-to-toe in 12 rounds of non-stop action to defeat the reigning WBC, WBA and IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KOs) by majority decision in their middleweight championship rematch at T-Mobile Arena.

“I showed my victory with facts,” said the newly crowned WBC, WBA, Ring Magazine and lineal middleweight world champion Canelo Alvarez. “He was the one who was backing up. I feel satisfied because I gave a great fight. It was a clear victory.”

“I’m not going to say who won tonight, because the victory belongs to Canelo according to the judges,” said Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. “I thought it was a very good fight for the fans and very exciting. I thought I fought better than he did.

Canelo Alvarez Canelo Alvarez Canelo Alvarez Canelo Alvarez Canelo Alvarez Canelo Alvarez Canelo Alvarez Canelo Alvarez

 

David Lemieux (40-4, 34KOs) of Montreal, Canada defeated Gary O’Sullivan (28-3, 22KOs) of Cork, Ireland via knockout in the first round of a middleweight bout scheduled for 12 rounds. Lemieux earned a chance at the WBA Middleweight Title by stopping O’Sullivan at 2:44 seconds of the aforementioned round.

“I was very happy to win. I’m a happy middleweight,” said David Lemieux. “I felt great, and I’m in superb shape. I always give you guys a great knockout and a great fight. I’m looking forward to doing it again. Don’t mess with me – when O’Sullivan talked, I kept it in me. I bring it to the ring, I don’t disrespect my opponents. I don’t trash talk. Canelo and Golovkin are two excellent fighters. I’m looking forward to fighting them both.”

“Unfortunately, this is boxing,” said Gary O’Sullivan. “I got caught, and it just so happens it was against a 179-pound light heavyweight who caught me. That was a big weight discrepancy at fight time.”

Lemieux 03 Lemieux 02

September 16, 2018
September 16, 2018
Canelo Alvarez

Joe Camporeale/USA Today Sports

Feedspot followFeedly follow

CANELO ALVAREZ said beating Gennady Golovkin in their Las Vegas rematch has made it one of the happiest days of his life. The victory comes one year after their highly contentious draw and seven months after the Mexican’s name was almost ruined when he failed a drug test. Despite being cast as the villain beforehand, two scores of 115-113 made him a hero to his country.

“It is one of the happiest days of my life,” said Canelo, dressed in bright green suit. “Viva Mexico!”

The new WBC and WBA middleweight champion surprised many observers by standing in the pocket and forcing Golovkin back in the early rounds. Canelo promised beforehand he would stop the champion but few expected him to fight so aggressively.

“Unfortunately we didn’t get the knockout but thank God we walked away with the victory,” he said. “I did everything I could to complete my objective. We worked so hard for that. It was my plan to stand and trade from the beginning. I wanted the knockout.”

Golovkin believed the wrong man won. Canelo believes otherwise.

“I pushed him back, it was me who was aggressive. That was me. I thank my team, who else has a team like that?
I am satisfied with how we got the victory. This is a very important victory to me and my country, and my country will be proud.”

And the future?

“The only thing in my mind right now is the victory.”

September 16, 2018
September 16, 2018
Gennady Golovkin

Joe Camporeale/USA Today Sports

Feedspot followFeedly follow

GENNADY GOLOVKIN could be forgiven for not wanting any part of Canelo Alvarez or Las Vegas again. But tonight he confirmed he wants a third fight with Canelo Alvarez after the Mexican took his WBC and WBA middleweight titles via majority decision in their Las Vegas rematch.

Last September, his first bout with Canelo Alvarez in the T-Mobile Arena was ruled a draw following a wildly inaccurate 118-110 scorecard in the Mexican’s favour. The rematch was about setting the record straight.

But after 12 seesaw rounds, it was Canelo’s hands that were hoisted into the air in victory. Two scores of 115-113 in his favour trumped a 114-114 card and handed the Mexican victory. Golovkin left the ring, deciding against talking to HBO’s Max Kellerman. Once the dust has settled, though, “GGG” showed his class.

“We can say a lot of things tonight,” said Golovkin, wearing sunglasses to hide the cuts and bruises he suffered. “First I want to congratulate Canelo tonight because he left this building as a champion. It was a fight of two champions tonight.”

The contest was close, no question. Golovkin seemed to take over in the middle rounds but Canelo – holding centre ring for long periods – was astonishingly tough and always firing back. The rounds were hard to score. And in the end, it was two judges scoring the last session in Alvarez’s favour that edged it his way.

“He was not running for this fight but that doesn’t mean the scores are right,” countered Golovkin. “He did not win this fight. We won this fight. He did not doing anything special.

“I felt very comfortable. I think we controlled the fight with all the jabs. Just because he wasn’t running didn’t mean we were not controlling the fight, we were.

“I feel fine, I feel great. I have a small cut from when we butted heads but I wasn’t hurt at any point.”

Golovkin wants his titles back.

“I will come back guys,” he said with a smile. “As a boxer, as a fighter I will continue to do my job. I will continue to prove that I’m the best. We would like to have a third fight, we will negotiate that, that’s what we want.”

September 16, 2018
September 16, 2018
Gennady Golovkin vs Canelo Alvarez

Joe Camporeale/USA Today Sports

Feedspot followFeedly follow

CANELO ALVAREZ defeated Gennady Golovkin via majority decision at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas to claim the WBA and  WBC middleweight titles.

It was a better bout than the first as Canelo – widely expected to box and move – stood his ground impressively and ignored the famed power of Gennady Golovkin.

That’s not to say it didn’t land, though. Golovkin had long periods of success. At the end of 12 rounds, it looked like it could go either way.

GGG stormed from the ring at the end, after hearing two scores of 115-113 go against him. The third score was 114-114. Our score are below…

On the undercard exciting Mexican Jaime Munguia defended his WBO super-welterweight title against Brandon Cook, Spike O’Sullivan was taken apart in one round by David Lemieux, while Roman Gonzalez returned to winning ways against Moises Fuentes.

Scroll down for information on how we saw the night and fights unfold.

Updates will refresh automatically

September 15, 2018
September 15, 2018
Canelo Alvarez

Tom Hogan/Golden Boy

Feedspot followFeedly follow

RYAN RHODES knows just how difficult it is to fight Canelo Alvarez. He fought the Mexican as far back as 2011 in what was only Canelo’s first world title defence. A talented and seasoned European champion then, Rhodes thought he would outbox Alvarez. But he miscalculated.

“He was just so accurate, he was just so sharp,” Ryan told Boxing News. “His movement was good, his defence was good. He didn’t waste anything. He’d throw a punch and if he was going to throw a punch you’d know he was throwing it to land. Not just a range finder, he was throwing it with intention.”

“His fight before that was Matthew Hatton and all he did was walk through Matthew Hatton. I thought if he was just going to do that it would work in my favour because I’m a boxer, I’m a counter-puncher, I’ll pick him off, I’ll move. And I just thought I’d use my boxing brain and I’ll outscore him, outpoint him. But he never did that with me. He held the centre of the ring,” Rhodes continued. “I thought this wasn’t the Canelo that boxed Matthew Hatton. So obviously the first round I had to change my gameplan and try and pressure him a little bit because he used a different gameplan to what we thought.

“He can box, he can fight, he can stand on the inside, he can move on the outside. He’s got a very good boxing and fight game.”

As a former opponent Rhodes was outraged at Canelo failing a drug test this year, for traces of clenbuterol attributed to contaminated meat, and only getting a six month suspension from boxing. “The six month ban was just shameful,” he said. “Six months is basically a slap on the wrist, it was ridiculous. Because he only fights twice a year anyway, so what he’s done is just move the fight. That’s all he’s done. It wasn’t a punishment.”

“To me it should have been a life time ban,” he maintained. “Anybody taking enhancing drugs in boxing should be banned for life in my opinion. You’re going in the ring to hurt someone to try to win, that’s what boxing is, the be all and end all of it. But when you’re taking stuff to improve that or make you stronger, boxing’s dangerous as it is, without taking performance enhancing drugs. I just thought it was horrible. It’s dangerous enough without taking drugs.”

Canelo Alvarez

When it comes to Canelo’s fight on Saturday, Rhodes does tip Gennady Golovkin to win. “You have to slightly favour Triple G in this one,” he said. “I think it could be a late stoppage by Triple GGG. That’s how I see this fight going.”

For more expert predictions click HERE.

September 15, 2018
September 15, 2018
floyd mayweather

Action Images

Feedspot followFeedly follow

IT’S the rematch you didn’t ask for, but you might be getting it anyway. Floyd Mayweather took to social media on Saturday to declare that he would be coming back to boxing before the year is out, and he would be coming back to fight vanquished opponent Manny Pacquiao.

Together Mayweather and Pacquiao staged one of the most lucrative fights in history when they boxed in 2015. It was a clear points victory for Mayweather and left no questions unanswered. Mayweather would go 49-0 in what was then billed as he last bout against Andre Berto later in 2015.

But last year he returned to the ring in Las Vegas to box MMA star Conor McGregor in the latter’s first professional boxing bout. Mayweather halted him in 10 rounds, seemingly to retire at 50-0.

But it appears “Money” has had second thoughts. He stated: “I’m coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year. Another nine figure pay day on the way.”


View this post on Instagram

I’m coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year. Another 9 figure pay day on the way @mayweatherpromotions

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on

It’s hard to know how seriously to take the ‘announcement.’ Mayweather is hardly one to shy away from a lucrative opportunity. But the timing is also significant. Another old rival Canelo Alvarez is boxing in Las Vegas tonight. This declaration will certainly garner Mayweather some attention ahead of Canelo’s big fight.