January 6, 2017
January 6, 2017
francisco vargas vs Orlando salido

Chris Farina/Team Salido

Feedspot followFeedly follow

FORMER world featherweight champion Orlando Salido hopes to secure a rematch with WBC super-featherweight boss Francisco Vargas after their 2016 Fight of the Year back in June.

The two warriors fought to a draw in the standout contest of last year, though neither has appeared in the ring since. Vargas is scheduled to fight Miguel Berchelt on January 28.

Salido, now 36, has no set plans for his next fight though there was talk of a rematch with Vasyl Lomachenko, who he defeated in 2014, but the battle-hardened Mexican wants another shot at Vargas.

“When you’re in the ring you can say it’s a great fight and that night I knew we were having a special fight like the one we promised to deliver,” he said.

“It was an honor to be part of a great fight and give that gift to the fans.

“I think it makes sense to fight again and determine who’s the best. Obviously I felt that I won the fight. I think a second one will be similar, But, I hope we have a winner next time.”

Vargas, 32, is linked to a rematch with Takashi Miura, who he stopped to win the WBC title in one of the best fights of 2015.

On the undercard of Vargas’ defence against Berchelt, Miura will face Miguel Roman to determine who becomes the WBC mandatory.

“It’s a fight that everyone wants to see again, so let’s make it happen in 2017. Salido has given us some memorable fights and we will win the rematch. I guarantee everyone it will be as good as the first one, ” said Sean Gibbons, Salido’s manager.