May 23, 2016
May 23, 2016
chris eubank

Action Images/Andrew Boyers

Feedspot followFeedly follow

NICK BLACKWELL has branded Chris Eubank Jr and his father as “inhuman and disgusting” after the pair held a press conference against the wishes of Nick and his family.

Blackwell was put into an induced coma after collapsing following his stoppage loss to Eubank Jr in March, but has now given his first interview since the fight.

A few days after the contest, the Eubanks held a press conference to address the media, despite being asked not to by the Blackwells and the British Boxing Board of Control.

“I haven’t any hard feelings about the fight because you’re in there to win and try and hurt someone — it’s just the stuff he has done after. It’s inhuman, it’s disgusting,” he told The Sun.

“They were trying to make themselves look like the good guys when they are the opposite.

“My family and friends were begging them not to talk, but they ignored it. I’ve only just been shown the press conference and I know exactly what happened. It isn’t human what they’ve done. They were grabbing as much attention as they could. I was still in a coma but they went ahead and did it. That’s the Eubanks, isn’t it? They just want attention, no matter if it’s a bad or a good thing.”

Blackwell, who looked a picture of health during an appearance on ITV’s Good Morning Britain earlier today, had previously told Eubank Jr there were “no hard feelings.”

During the fight, Eubank Snr told his son to start targeting Blackwell’s body, leading some to argue the 49-year-old was showing compassion for Nick and did not want to see him hurt.

However Blackwell firmly believes it was referee Victor Loughlin and the medical staff who attended to him who should be praised.

“The people who saved my life were the referee, the person who put me in the coma and the people at St Mary’s Hospital. The Eubanks didn’t save my life.

“Chris Jr was asked later if he’d pick the belt or my health. He refused to answer. I’m not being funny, but someone’s health and life is more important.

“The night of the fight he went partying. He was celebrating. You’ve won the title, fine, you can go out and celebrate. I would have wanted to go to the hospital and be by his side until he woke up.”

Also speaking to The Sun, Eubank Jr defended his decision to hold the press conference, saying: “People and media demanded that we speak to them. If we had just said ‘No comment’ it would have come off as cold.

“If Nick is part of the small percentage that took offence, that’s unfortunate. It’s sad for me to hear something like that.

“All I have ever wanted for Nick has been the best. The fight was all the publicity that was needed. It was a great British tussle and such a shame it ended like that. Anything that happened after that was not for our gain.

“People deserve our side of the story and our perspective on things – that’s all it was.”