News | Nov 21 2014

Miguel Cotto versus Saul Alvarez likely for May next year

Bob Arum tells John Dennen that serious discussions are underway for Cotto-Alvarez
miguel cotto
Miguel Cotto  |  Jake Roth/USA Today Sports

MIGUEL COTTO is closing in on a showdown with Mexican star Saul Alvarez in May 2015.

“I think that’s a likely fight for May and I know that Todd DuBoef on behalf of Top Rank, Gabby Penagaricano on behalf of Cotto and Oscar [De La Hoya] on behalf of ‘Canelo’ Alvarez are seriously in discussions regarding that fight,” Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told Boxing News. “It would be a great, great fight I can’t wait to see it. That’s a fight I would pay to see.”

Cotto, 10 years older than Alvarez, fought once in 2014, a dominant victory over the previous WBC middleweight champion, Sergio Martinez and he remains one of the biggest names in the sport. “Canelo”, wildly popular in Mexico, bounced back from a comprehensive points defeat beneath the fists of Floyd Mayweather last year with quality wins over Alfredo Angulo and Erislandy Lara.

The winner of Cotto-Alvarez could even find themselves fighting feared Kazakh, WBA champion Gennady Golovkin afterwards. “Why not? That would be a great possibility,” Arum said.

Subscribe to BOXING NEWS, established in 1909, and the longest running publication on the market. SAVE MONEY and GET THE BEST COVERAGE EVERY WEEK.

Boxing News Shop
GET 10% OFF TOTAL PURCHASE*
USE PROMO CODE: SUMMER10

*SALE ENDS 31 AUGUST