April 19, 2015
April 19, 2015
Cotto

Feedspot followFeedly follow

MIGUEL COTTO will fight Australia’s Daniel Geale at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on June 6. The contest has been set at an 157lbs catch weight but will still be for Cotto’s WBC middleweight title.

It will be Cotto’s first fight since winning the title from Sergio Martinez in New York. Geale has recovered from a devastating three-round stoppage to WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin with a points win over Jarrod Fletcher.

“I want to train my butt off for this one and make sure I come away with another world title. I’m as excited as you could ever imagine and this is a great moment for me,” said former IBF champion Geale. “It’s going to be a hell of a fight.”

Cotto said, “Daniel is a great fighter. I’m going to do my best as always to make a beautiful fight and make it exciting for the fans.”

The fight will be shown on HBO, the channel which screens the fearsome Golovkin, as well as Mexican star Saul Alvarez. Earlier this year “Canelo” was in talks about a possible Cotto fight. The two could still meet later this year.

“In my whole career I face the best, those names include Daniel,” Cotto said. “He’s one of the best boxers in the world right now. He was the best name on the table.

“I have to wait sometimes in my career for my opportunities. ‘Canelo’ has to do the same, Golovkin has to do the same, just sit calm and wait for their time. I don’t like to push things. Everything comes by itself.”