February 3, 2017
February 3, 2017
Miguel Cotto

Stacey Verbeek

Feedspot followFeedly follow

MIGUEL COTTO’S next fight, which had been scheduled for February 25 in Texas, has now been cancelled. He was due to take on James Kirkland in what would have been Cotto’s first fight back since losing the WBC middleweight title to Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez in 2015.

Cotto-Kirkland had been mooted as a pay-per-view event.

After sitting out the entirety of 2016 Cotto has said that this will be his last year in boxing. It remains to be seen how missing out on this fight will disrupt his plans.

Kirkland has withdrawn from the fight, citing a fractured nose.

In a statement promoter Roc Nation said, “Roc Nation Sports today received notification from James Kirkland’s team that Kirkland has suffered an injury which will force him to withdraw from his match against five-time world champion Miguel Cotto on Saturday, February 25, 2017. The reported injury is a fractured nose. Unfortunately, the entire HBO Pay-Per-View show at Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas is cancelled.

“For customers who purchased through Ticketmaster via phone, online or mobile channels, you will receive a credit to the method of payment used. If you purchased in person at Ford Center or AT&T Stadium ticket office, bring the tickets and method of payment used at time of purchase to the AT&T Stadium North Ticket Office, located adjacent to Entry A, to receive your refund. If you purchased tickets from any other source, you will need to contact that point of purchase for your refund.”