MIGUEL COTTO might intend to retire before the end of the year, but he is set to be involved in more enthralling clashes before he leaves for good – starting this weekend.
The 36-year-old – who remains the only four-weight world champion in Puerto Rican boxing history – fights Japan’s Yoshihiro Kamegai tomorrow night (August 26) for the vacant WBO world super-welterweight title.
Having not fought since his entertaining points loss to Canelo Alvarez in 2015, Cotto returns to action against a man who has been involved in numerous wars, including an instant classic with Jesus Soto Karass.
“Its a pleasure for me to be here. We’ve been enjoying every session at the gym. I’ve been doing my work as hard as I can,” Cotto said.
“We’re ready. We are ready for the fight, and I’m happy to be back. Thank you everyone for being here. We’re going to do our best this Saturday, and the winners will be fans all over the world.”
Due to his lengthy time on the side-lines, Cotto has had a longer camp than usual for this fight and his trainer, Hall of Famer Freddie Roach, has ensured he and his charge are suitably prepared for the challenge ahead.
“We had a really good training camp, a little longer then usual,” he said. “He had a little bit of a layoff previously, but camp went well.
“We watched a lot of film on our opponent. We have a really great strategy, and it will be an action packed fight. Miguel is 100 per cent ready. It was the best training camp we’ve had yet.”
Kamegai, who last fought in September 2016 when he stopped Soto Karass in a rematch of their incredible first fight, is excited ahead of the biggest fight of his career.
“I’m looking forward to it,” he smiled. “I’m extremely pleased to be fighting for the WBO title belt, held by great champions like Oscar De La Hoya, Marco Antonio Barrera, and I’m looking forward to fighting a great legendary champion like Miguel Cotto.”