Feature | Premium | Oct 10 2019

Boxing needs to address its mental health problem

George Gigney speaks to key figures and explores boxing’s developing relationship with mental health
England Boxing
mental-health  |  iStock

BOXING is 80 per cent mental. At least. Any self-respecting member of our close-knit fraternity will tell you that. The other 20 per cent is predominantly covered by the arduous training camps fighters put themselves through to ensure they’re in peak condition on fight night. If an injury occurs, it is dealt with as soon as possible and, if need be, the fight is postponed or cancelled altogether. On the whole, fighters are quick to flag up any physical problems they’re having.

It’s a different story when it comes to mental health.

Subscribe now to keep reading

We're chuffed you’re enjoying our website, but I'm afraid you need to be a subscriber to read this story.

As a subscriber you'll get access to all online content, including weekly issues - you can opt for digital only or print and digital - plus an online archive of weekly digital editions back to January 2012.

You'll also be helping to support our editorial independence so we can continue to get to the heart of the stories that truly matter to you, the reader. Every subscription we secure will go directly to ensuring that Boxing News retains its voice for many years to come.

If you're not ready to subscribe there are plenty of free articles on the site you can enjoy by registering

To enjoy premium content such as this story, and to get the weekly issue you will need to subscribe

Got an account? Sign in