March 2, 2018
March 2, 2018
josh taylor

Feedspot followFeedly follow

JOSH TAYLOR has warned he could be in for an even more dangerous second defence of his WBC Silver super-lightweight belt after a late change of opponent.

But the Scot is confident he can knock out Nicaraguan Winston Campos once he gets to grips with the challenger’s style.

The Prestonpans fighter was scheduled to fight experienced Mexican Humberto Soto at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow on Saturday until the former world champion pulled out citing a bad cut.

Campos agreed to step in at short notice as he was training for another fight and Taylor feels the 25-year-old will pose a different threat.

The challenger’s third and most recent defeat in his 38-fight career came against former lightweight world champion Ismael Barroso in 2013 and four of his five victories last year came inside the distance.

Commonwealth Games gold medallist Taylor said: “This is a harder fight than my original opponent. He comes to fight more, he’s taller and it looks like he punches quite hard as well.

“Obviously, I had nearly a full camp preparing for a different fighter in Humberto Soto, but I feel confident that I’ll be able to adapt to Winston Campos.

“He’s taller, he’s a southpaw and he’s dangerous, but I’m feeling great and there’s only one winner. It might take me a couple of rounds to adjust to his style, but I think the stoppage will come.”

The pair clashed at a media conference in Glasgow with Taylor moving his head into his opponent’s after the visitor leaned in close.

And Campos has promised more fireworks on Saturday night.

“I know that Josh Taylor is a good fighter, but I have fought better guys than him,” he said.

“I will look to hunt him down from the first bell. I want him to know that he is in for a fight. Let’s hope Josh wants to fight too and we can give the fans a war.

“I feel strong, I feel aggressive and I think that belt is going back with me to Nicaragua.”