June 21, 2017
June 21, 2017
gennady golovkin

Tom Hogan/Hogan Photos/Golden Boy

Feedspot followFeedly follow

UNIFIED middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin has hinted at the possibility of retiring from boxing after his September 16 meeting with Canelo Alvarez in Las Vegas.

The unbeaten Kazakh faces the biggest test in his illustrious career when he takes on Mexican star Canelo, in what is the best fight that could have been made in the sport.

However, at 35, Golovkin is aware that he is moving toward the end of his tenure and could call it quits after fighting Canelo – but insists he does not feel his age.

“I don’t know. Maybe after this fight I’m finished, maybe not. I feel very good. OK I’m 35 but I feel like I’m 25. But this is boxing, not soccer, it’s not a game, this is a fight and every fight is very difficult,” he said earlier this week.

Golovkin turned professional in 2006 after a wildly successful amateur career, which included over 300 bouts and culminated in an Olympic silver medal.

Since then he has fought 37 times – but only 172 rounds, thanks to his thunderous power – and only went the 12 round distance for the first time ever in March against Daniel Jacobs.

In recent years he has earned millions by becoming one of the most marketable fighters on the planet and his upcoming fight with Canelo will only enhance his profile.

However, while he mentioned retirement, he is also open to the prospect of a rematch with Canelo and even having a trilogy with the flame-haired Mexican.

“I’m ready, I want. I believe it’s possible,” he said.