FORMER WBC super-middleweight champion Badou Jack vacated his world title and moved up to light-heavyweight. He expects his next fight to be against Welshman Nathan Cleverly on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather versus Conor McGregor in Las Vegas on August 26.
Speaking exclusively to Boxing News, Jack revealed, “They’re still working on it so I’m just waiting for them to make it official. That’s the next fight. That’s what they’re working on and it looks like it’s going to be on Floyd’s undercard.”
He was a keen observer of Andre Ward’s victory over Sergey Kovalev. Jack had no problem with the controversial finish on Saturday. “I think he was done. The first thing I think was it was a body shot that broke him down. Maybe a couple of them were a little low, the last one I think was low. But he was already out of there anyway,” Badou said. “He didn’t like to get hit to the body. That’s why he was complaining.”
“It was a good fight, Ward is the winner,” he continued. “I was surprised he stopped him. With 10 ounce gloves Ward is a strong, tough fighter. He can fight on the inside. I thought he was going to win the fight but not like that.”
Jack is setting his targets high in his new division. Ultimately he wants to fight Ward. “Yes absolutely. He’s the best guy and if you’re in boxing you’re supposed to want to fight the best absolutely,” Badou said.
Two-time British Olympian and former amateur World gold medallist Savannah Marshall, who signed with Mayweather promotions earlier this year, will also make her professional on the card.