Category Archives: Press

January 11, 2018
January 11, 2018
robbie davies

Feedspot followFeedly follow

LIVERPOOL’S highly rated super-lightweight, Robbie Davies Jr, finally gets the chance for revenge over Poland’s Michal Syrowatka when the pair meet in an eagerly anticipated rematch at the Liverpool Convention Centre on 31 March.

In what many observers felt was one of the fights of 2017, the tough Pole took the talented scouser’s unbeaten record – and his WBA Continental belt – back in July courtesy of a 12th round TKO despite Davies flooring Syrowatka in the ninth and appearing to be ahead at the time of the stoppage.

An immediate, and contractually obliged, rematch was put on hold in the autumn however, after the Polish no.1 asked, firstly, for a delay due to an unspecified injury, and then, in December, personal problems. Despite these delays however, the date and venue for the one contest the talented switch hitter wanted more than any other has finally been confirmed.

Davies, already in training with coach Dave Tonks, said: “It’s taken a while to happen but I’m delighted everything is sorted now –thanks to my manager Neil Marsh for that – and I can’t wait to get back in the ring.

“He was a decent kid but I wasn’t at my best in the first fight and I won’t be making the same mistakes again. I know I’m better than him in every department; speed, power, skill, everything. And people will see this on 31 March. I aim to take back the [WBA continental] belt in style and then move on up through the rankings to bigger things later in the year.”

While not uncommon for boxers or their backroom team, the delays still came as a blow to Davies’ manager, Neil Marsh, who had prepared studiously ahead of the one contest his charge wanted above all others.

Marsh said: “We were all really disappointed in the news obviously, none more so than Robbie, but everything is sorted now and the entire team is focussed on 31 March. Sometimes you have to be patient in boxing and this is what I told Robbie. He wanted the chance to make a statement and didn’t want his loss to go unavenged.

“We also wanted to bring him back to his home city, to show the Liverpool boxing fans how good he is and this contest gives him the chance to do all of that. We want to win in style and then return to our journey to get back into the WBA top 5 and then work towards a world title.”

Marsh also revealed there is a chance the show could be on TV. He said: “We are hoping to get the show on TV and talks are ongoing at the moment.”

Expanding on the fact that Davies wanted the Syrowatka return more than any other contest despite a number of options being available, one of which was believed to be Ohara Davies, Marsh said: “We discussed alternatives, some of whom were supposed bigger names. Eddie Hearn offered us the O’Hara fight late last year and Robbie was keen – he wants to shut him up once and for all, especially for the disrespect he has shown Robbie on social media, but the offer wasn’t acceptable.

“It was nowhere near what we wanted to be honest – which makes us feel that they weren’t serious about it in the first place, but it’s no great loss; Robbie was adamant – this was the fight he wanted and, with a host of other local lads on the show, it should be a great night.”

While Marsh states, “a world class support contest is still to be finalised,” a number of local and NW-based fighters have been confirmed: Liverpool fighters, Brian Phillips and Lee Boyce will feature, as will Warrington pair Courtney Chadwick and Danny Craven. Southport’s Jake Barton will be in action as well as Ellesmere Port’s highly-rated duo, Mason Cartwright.

Tickets for the show, held in association with Kieran Farrell Promotions, will are priced at £40, £60, £80, £100 VIP and £150 VIP Ringside. They are available from the Convention Centre from tomorrow (Friday 12 January) at 9am and from the boxers themselves.

January 8, 2018
January 8, 2018
Victor Ortiz

Ryan Hafey/Premier Boxing Champions

Feedspot followFeedly follow

“VICIOUS” Victor Ortiz and Devon Alexander “The Great” headline a show topped by two USA vs. Mexico battles as the former welterweight champions meet in the 12-round main event of Premier Boxing Champions on FOX and FOX Deportes Saturday, Feb. 17 from Don Haskins Center on the UTEP campus in El Paso, Texas with televised coverage starting at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.

In the co-main event unbeaten contender Caleb “Sweethands” Plant will battle Rogelio “Porky” Medina in a 12-round 168-pound world title eliminator.

Also on the card, Tony Harrison (25-2, 20 KOs) takes on Jorge Cota (27-2, 24 KOs) in a super welterweight showdown and Karlos Balderas, a 2016 U.S. Olympian, will appear in a lightweight special attraction.

“This is a classic crossroads match in the truest sense. Both Devon Alexander and Victor Ortiz are battle-tested in one of the toughest, deepest divisions in boxing,” said Tom Brown, President of TGB Promotions. “Alexander has overcome some serious health issues and is looking to regain the welterweight championship. Ortiz, also a former champion, has always come to fight and doesn’t back down from anyone. It promises to be an entertaining match for the fans in attendance at Don Haskins Center and those who tune in on FOX and FOX Deportes.”

Ortiz (32-6-2, 25 KOs), a former 147-pound champion, has split time between boxing and acting throughout his recent career and brings a certain flare every time he steps into the ring. The 30-year-old native of Garden City, Kansas who now lives in Ventura, California, has faced some of the top names in the 147-pound division during his career. Ortiz won the welterweight title with unanimous decision victory over Andre Berto on April 16, 2011. Five months later he lost the title to Floyd Mayweather, Jr. by knockout. Ortiz, 30, suffered a knockout loss to Andre Berto in 2016 on FOX and bounced back with a knockout victory over Saul Corral in his last fight on July 30 on FS1.

“I’m ready to give all I have to defeat Devon Alexander and get my crown back,” said Ortiz. “My priority is to make a strong comeback and putting myself in a position to have my straps once again. I demonstrated what I was made of and did what I said I was going to do in my last fight. I’m facing a great fighter in Devon Alexander and someone I’ve known since we were kids. I don’t hate him, but I will not be his friend on fight night and he won’t be mine. I’m ready to prove everyone wrong starting on Feb. 17.”

Victor Ortiz

Alexander (27-4, 14 KOs) emerged on the scene with a unanimous decision victory over Randall Bailey for the welterweight title in 2012. He defended the title once before losing it to Shawn Porter in 2013. Since then, the 30-year-old Alexander of St. Louis, Missouri has been on a mission to regain the title. After losing to Amir Khan and Aaron Martinez, Alexander suffered another setback when he sought treatment for an addiction to painkillers. Fully healthy for the first time in three years, Alexander returned to the ring with a unanimous decision victory over Walter Castillo on FS1 on Nov. 21.

“I’m excited to get back in there against a fighter like Victor Ortiz,” said Alexander. “We’ve known each other a long time but never fought in the amateurs, so this should be interesting. My speed, quickness and smarts will win me this fight. Victor checks out sometimes when he can’t hit you, so my skills will be the difference. I’m ready for any challenge that’s brought my way. When I’m 100 percent, nobody can beat me.”

Plant (16-0, 10 KOs) won eight of his first nine fights by knockout, demonstrating power in both hands to go along with his boxing abilities. The 25-year-old climbed into the top ten of the 168-pound rankings with his last victory – a unanimous decision over Andrew Hernandez in Las Vegas on Sept. 8. Medina represents a major step up for Plant and will give him an indication of just where the Ashland, Tennessee native stands in the division as he looks to become a mandatory challenger for the IBF title.

The 29-year-old Medina (38-8, 32 KOs) has squared off against some of the toughest boxers in the division, including current champion David Benavidez and former champions James DeGale and Badou Jack. Fighting out of Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico lost by knockout to Benavidez on May 20, and bounced back with a knockout victory over Daniel Eduardo Yocupicio on Sept. 1.

January 4, 2018
January 4, 2018
Larry Ekundayo

Action Images/Peter Cziborra

Feedspot followFeedly follow

LARRY EKUNDAYO claims he will soon prove he is at world level as he prepares to make his comeback after recovering from hand surgery.

London-based former African welterweight champion and Prizefighter winner Ekundayo (12-1, 3KOs) is the latest addition to MTK Global’s ‘High Stakes’ fight card at the Brentwood Centre in Essex on Saturday, March 3.

Southern Area light-middleweight champion Matt McCarthy (18-1, 4KOs) will top an action-packed bill, which will feature a number of MTK-backed fighters.

The card will mark Ekundayo’s first outing since he suffered his first pro loss, dropping a split-decision loss to world-title challenger Gary Corcoran last July.

And the sprightly 35-year-old Nigerian insists he will be better than ever when he makes his ring return on March 3.

“I had surgery, I’ve started to use my hand again in sparring and I’m looking forward to getting back in the ring,” said Ekundayo.

“I had a bone growing out of place and it was affecting nerves in my knuckles. It was causing me really bad pain before my last fight, but I had to just get on with it. The bone has been shaved back, so I’m recovering well and I can use my hands properly now.”

While defeat for Ekundayo led to surgery, victory for Corcoran last July teed up a world-title title against WBO world welterweight champion Jeff Horn in Brisbane last month.

Corcoran was pulled out by his corner in the 11th round against Horn after a brave showing and Ekundayo was enthused by the fact that his old rival got a shot at a world-title.

“I’ve never had a doubt that I’m at world level – I’m a world-class fighter and it was very encouraging to actually see Gary fight for the world title,” said Ekundayo.

Larry Ekundayo

“I thought I won my fight against him and he went on to fight for a world title, so I’m sure I’m not far off getting a title shot myself,” continued ‘The Natural’, who is open to the prospect of a rematch against Corcoran in the near future.

“To be honest, I’m a fighter and it doesn’t matter where or when I get my shot. Even if I have to fight Corcoran again to get it, we can do it again – for a title if possible. It depends on what MTK have in line for me,” said the former Prizefighter winner.

“I’m just proper excited about getting back in the ring. I haven’t had any word on an opponent yet, but I’m grateful to have MTK behind me and to get me back out on March 3.”

January 4, 2018
January 4, 2018
Bradley Skeete

Action Images

Feedspot followFeedly follow

WELTERWEIGHT supremo Bradley Skeete believes he is ready to step up in class after clearing up domestically.

The outright British champion is next out on Frank Warren’s bumper ‘Untouchables’ show at London’s Copper Box Arena on February 10, with an opponent set to be named soon.

A memorable 2017 saw Skeete achieve his dream of securing the Lord Lonsdale Challenge Belt outright, stopping Shayne Singleton in five at the Brentwood Centre in June before taking the belt home for keeps by outpointing Dale Evans at the Copper Box Arena in July.

And now the Penge native is determined to entice one of the 147lbs champions into the ring. “I’m ready to prove I’m a world class fighter,” said Skeete. “I’ve got the world rankings but now I need the right fights to back them up. Jeff Horn swerved the fight with me. I’m avoided for a reason.

“My style would give anyone trouble. I’m ready and waiting to prove what I can do against the best.”

Skeete, 30, is currently ranked at number three with the WBO and six with the IBF.

He was close to landing a world title fight against WBO titlist Horn, but the Australian’s team opted to face Gary Corcoran instead. Horn stopped the challenger in the 11th round on December 13.

Bradley Skeete

“Horn took the easier fight in Corcoran and blatantly avoided me,” he added. “I’d have taken him to school and his team knew that. If it wasn’t for Horn and his team swerving the fight, then I’d be a world Champion. I’d have gone over there and got that world title.

“That’s all in the past now and I’ll be aiming to start the year in style with a win next month.”

January 3, 2018
January 3, 2018
Boy Jones

Action Images

Feedspot followFeedly follow

BOY JONES JR says he is feeling fitter and stronger than ever after making the jump from super-featherweight to lightweight.

The former Southern Area 130lbs champion returns to the ring on Frank Warren’s bumper ‘Untouchables’ card at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday February 10 and is aiming to impress at his new weight.

“My body is finally starting to fill out and I felt it was the right time to move up to 135lbs,” said Jones Jr. “I sat down with my trainer Dominic Negus and it was an easy decision to make. I had a lot of success at super-feather but my power just seemed to drain from my body as soon as I made weight.

“I’ve had a good break since I last fought in September. I’m filling into the weight and getting stronger with each session in the gym. I look better and I feel healthier – my mum has wanted me to move up in weight for a while.

“I’ve been sparring with Rio 2016 Olympian Joe Cordina and I’m definitely starting to find my ‘man’ power. I feel stronger and meaner at the weight and I don’t fade at all as the rounds go on which was a problem in the Poxton fight.”

Boy Jones

The angel-faced assassin picked up his first professional title at the tender age of 19 when he dominated Martin Hillman to win the Southern Area belt in front of a capacity crowd at the Brentwood Centre, live on BoxNation, in November 2016.

He suffered his first career loss to Lowestoft warrior Craig Poxton in his next fight at York Hall in a Fight of the Year contender but bounced back with wins over Norbert Kalucza, Andis Didzus and Ibrar Riyaz, and will aim to kick-start 2018 with a big performance in East London.

“One of the most talent deep divisions at domestic level is the lightweight class and I’ll be looking to throw my name into the mix. There’s some great fights out there for me this year but first of all I can’t wait to perform at the Copper Box Arena on February 10.

“I always say it but people need to realise that I only had a handful of unlicensed fights before I turned pro back in 2015. I’ve had a lot of fights for a 21-year-old and I’m constantly learning and improving. This is the year that everyone will get to see the real Boy Jones Jr.”

January 3, 2018
January 3, 2018
Anthony Joshua

Action Images/Andrew Couldridge

Feedspot followFeedly follow

THE Principality Stadium in Cardiff is the 4/5 favourite with Betway to host Anthony Joshua’s expected fight with Joseph Parker on March 31.

The Welsh capital was the location of Joshua’s previous fight with Carlos Takam in October last year and the 70,000 all-seater stadium is a warm order to stage his impending heavyweight title unification bout with New Zealand’s Parker.

London’s Twickenham is next in the betting at 7/4 to host its first ever fight, while American venues Madison Square Garden and the MGM Grand are next in the betting at 10/1 and 12/1 respectively.

Joshua 1/20 to maintain unbeaten record

With AJ’s team ’95 per cent’ sure that Parker will sign to fight on March 31, Betway make Joshua the overwhelming 1/20 favourite to come out on top.

Parker, the WBO title holder, looks up against it versus the unbeaten Joshua and the New Zealander is available at 10/1 to spring a surprise.

Betway’s Alan Alger said: “With talks seemingly nearing a conclusion, attentions have turned to where Joshua and Parker will do battle and Cardiff’s Principality Stadium is the 4/5 favourite.

“Joshua is yet to fight outside of the UK during his professional career and this looks likely to continue with Twickenham second in the market at 7/4. The most likely destination overseas looks to be Madison Square at 10/1 ahead of the MGM Grand which is a 12/1 chance.

Anthony Joshua

“When they get it on, we have Joshua as a strong favourite to maintain his unbeaten record. AJ is 1/20 to defeat Parker who, despite being the WBO champion, looks up against it and is available at 10/1 to cause an upset.”

Betway – Boxing

To host Anthony Joshua v Joseph Parker:

Principality Stadium, Cardiff 4/5
Twickenham Stadium, London 7/4
Madison Square Garden, New York 10/1
MGM Grand, Las Vegas 12/1
National Stadium, Lagos 25/1
Zayed Sports City Stadium, Abu Dhabi 25/1
Nou Camp, Barcelona 33/1

Fight Winner:

Antony Joshua 1/20
Draw 33/1
Joseph Parker 10/1

December 28, 2017
December 28, 2017
Manny Perez

Action Images

Feedspot followFeedly follow

BRIAN HALQUIST PRODUCTIONS will kick off its 2018 season on Friday January 12 with ‘Battle at the Boat 114’ at the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, Washington.

The six-bout card will feature a 10-round main event between welterweights John Jackson and Manny Perez, and the return of Walter “2 Guns” Wright.

Jackson is coming off a victory over Tyrone Harris on May 13. Jackson also holds wins over Reynaldo Hurtado, who once fought for the IBF bantamweight championship, and Ricardo Medina.

“I’m really looking forward to fighting at the Emerald Queen, one of the premier boxing venues in North America, and in front of their enthusiastic fans,” Jackson said. “Manny Perez is a tough, hard-nosed fighter, and the fans will get the same in me, as I always come to rumble and give every bit of myself. I’m training hard, as this opportunity means so much to me.”

Perez has won six out of his last seven fights, and three consecutively, with his only setback coming in a decision loss to the undefeated Jose Ramirez.

Perez’s most recent victory came against Behzod Nabiev on July 9. He has also defeated Edgar Santana, who fought Lamont Peterson for the IBF super-lightweight title in 2014. Perez followed up his win over Santana by overcoming Jose Miguel Cotto.

“I know Manny Perez is a known tough guy, and so am I,” Jackson said. “I got the edge in power, but Manny Perez can take it. This will be a good one for the fans to watch.”

Seattle’s Walter Wright, a former four-time Tacoma Golden Gloves champion and 2001 US amateur championships finalist, returns to the ring following a near five-year hiatus.

Wright won 11 consecutive fights between 2003 and 2006, leading to his appearance on the ESPN reality show The Contender (season 2), where he participated in the welterweight tournament and became one of the show’s stars.

Wright defeated Andre Eason in the first round, before losing to future two-time IBF super-welterweight champion Cornelius Bundrage by decision in the semi-finals.

This will mark Wright’s 12th career fight at the Emerald Queen Casino. He has an all-time record of 10-1 (6) at the Tacoma venue.

Highlighting the undercard will be a pair of undefeated fighters in Jorge Linares and Fatlum Zhuta.

Linares will face the debuting Journey Newson in a four-round 140lb bout, while Zhuta squares off against Kian Heidari in a clash of super-middleweights.