Category Archives: Press

April 27, 2017
April 27, 2017
Tyson Fury

Feedspot followFeedly follow

WBO world middleweight Champion Billy Joe Saunders is training in Marbella, Spain with former heavyweight ruler Tyson Fury.

The undefeated Hatfield star posted a video onto his Instagram page confirming that Fury is back in training.

This week Fury revealed that he is targeting a comeback this summer in a quest to regain his status as world heavyweight champion.

“Got the big man with me,” said Saunders. “Tyson Fury is running with us, getting in good shape – he’s lost weight already.

“Getting ready for July. We’re all looking good – bring on Danny DeVito and bring on the winner of Joshua vs. Klitschko for the big man!”

In November 2015, Fury upset the odds to dethrone long-time division king Wladimir Klitschko. The 28-year-old remains the Lineal Champion ahead of his proposed return to the ring.

Saunders is set to face Avtandil Khurtsidze in July after the Georgian stopped Tommy Langford in Leicester to lift the WBO Interim belt.

Khurtsidze, a heavy-handed Georgian, is an avoided man in the division and will be confident of defeating Saunders. Billy Joe has been forced to look at other options after a proposed unification bout with Gennady Golovkin seems unlikely to materialise this summer.

April 27, 2017
April 27, 2017
Ryan Burnett

Action Images

Feedspot followFeedly follow

RYAN BURNETT will challenge Lee Haskins for the IBF world bantamweight title at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast on June 10, live on Sky Sports.

The unbeaten Belfast man gets his first world title crack on home turf and the 24 year old is looking to graduate to World level having moved seamlessly to 16-0, picking up the British and WBC International strap en-route.

Haskins picked up the Interim strap then world title with an impressive sixth round stoppage win over Ryosuke Iwasa in 2015 and then points wins over Ivan Morales in May and Stuart Hall in September.

The Bristolian southpaw will provide the stiffest test of the talented Adam Booth trained Burnett, who believes the Belfast crowd can roar him to victory.

“I always dreamed of headlining in Belfast and now I have the opportunity to do it for a world title – I’m so excited,” said Burnett.

“Home advantage is going to be massive. I’ve been in the opposite corner when I fought Ryan Farrag in Liverpool and experienced that side of it. I got a little taste of it when I was on the undercard when Carl Frampton boxed Scott Quigg, when I came out everyone went crazy.

“That felt like a home show! It gives you that extra spring in your step, I can only imagine what it’s going to be like in front of my home fans in Belfast. I can’t wait.

“Lee Haskins has been about, he’s been in the game a long time so he’s probably been in this situation before. But the Belfast crowd are proper, they are very passionate for their fighter and will be making plenty of noise on the night for me.

“I’m only 16-0, 24 years old. I’m still new to this level. But this is definitely the right fight for me at this stage of my career. I know I’m capable of stepping up.

“Lee is very good, skilful. But I know he hasn’t fought anyone like me before and what I bring to the table. It’ll be interesting to see how he handles it.

“The Faragg fight was one of my tougher tests, I fought the best Faragg. Adam was very happy with how I dealt with it. Looking back, it was a good learning fight for me.

“Haskins vs. Hall was a close fight, I thought Haskins just edged it. It showed a lot of Lee’s character. Boxing under pressure. It wasn’t his best performance. Stuart Hall came with so much tenacity but I believe the right man won on the night.

“I boxed a southpaw earlier this year in Hull and we’ll have plenty of southpaw sparring in the gym. We’ve already been sparring quite a bit to get me in the correct rhythm so I don’t think the stance will bother me much.

“Adam has been teaching me stuff that I didn’t even know existed! I thought I knew boxing, but when I went with Adam I quickly realised I didn’t know much at all. It’s been just over two years since I’ve been working with him. He’s taken away my bad habits and bringing me round to being a World class fighter.”

First details of the undercard will be revealed next Wednesday when the pair come face to face at the launch press conference for the fight.

April 26, 2017
April 26, 2017
Kubrat Pulev

LAP Images

Feedspot followFeedly follow

KUBRAT PULEV (24-1, 13 KOs) and Kevin Johnson (30-7-1, 14 KOs) came face-to-face at a press conference Tuesday at the Hotel Marinela in Sofia ahead of their WBA Intercontinental heavyweight title clash on Friday night at the Arena Armeec.

Pulev makes the first defence of the WBA strap he claimed with a third-round stoppage victory over former world champion Samuel Peter in December, and also risks his IBF mandatory position, which would see him in line to face the winner of Saturday’s World title showdown between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko.

Johnson, the former World title challenger from New Jersey, USA, insists he is not there to make up the numbers, and is also targeting a second shot at World honours as he looks to upset the Bulgarian hero in front of his home fans.

‘’Kevin Johnson is a good boxer who will give everything, but he will not succeed,’’ said Pulev. ‘’My goal is to become world champion. I know a loss will set me back a long way, but I’m confident in my abilities. My opponent is an experienced fighter, who will be difficult to break down, but we’ve prepared for that. On Friday, I want to put on another great show for the Bulgarian people, and then I want my shot at the world title.’’

‘’If Pulev thinks he’s in for an easy night, he’s got another thing coming,’’ said Johnson. ‘’I’m no Samuel Peter. I’m not here to lie down and collect a cheuque, I’m here to cause an upset. I’m going to take this boy to school and show the Bulgarians what a Jersey boy can do. I’m going to give him an ass whopping on Friday, the likes of which nobody has seen before. We’ve both been through the same obstacles and we’ve both fought for world titles before, but only one of us is going to get that second shot, and that’s going to me.’’

Having taken in the sights of Sofia, Johnson also revealed he plans to leave Bulgaria with two souvenirs. ‘’The women here are very beautiful,’’ he said. ‘’And I’m looking to get married. On Saturday, I’m going to be leaving with a new belt and a new wife!’’

Said promoter Nisse Sauerland: ‘’It’s a great weekend for heavyweight boxing. Kubrat is mandatory challenger to face the winner of Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko for the IBF world title. Either they fight him or they vacate the belt. He’s fought hard to get back into this position, and he’s risking it all in this fight against a rejuvenated Kevin Johnson. Kevin also knows what’s at stake and what a win would mean for his career. Both men have been training hard, and are ready to give it their all in the ring on Friday night.’’

April 24, 2017
April 24, 2017
Tony Bellew next fight

Action Images/Andrew Couldridge

Feedspot followFeedly follow

Tony Bellew next fight odds

TONY BELLEW 6/4 to fight WBC champion Deontay Wilder next

Betway’s Alan Alger, said: “Tony Bellew is eyeing a heavyweight title clash in his next fight and the betting suggests he has current WBC champion Deontay Wilder or WBO champion Joseph Parker firmly in his sights.

“Bellew rocked the heavyweight division when beating David Haye in March, and the pair are 7/2 to cross paths again. While, it’s 10/1 for Bellew to fight an out-of-action Tyson Fury next.”

Betway – Boxing

Bellew Next Fight:

Deontay Wilder 6/4
Joseph Parker 7/4
David Haye 7/2
Tyson Fury 10/1

April 24, 2017
April 24, 2017
Scott Quigg

Action Images/Andrew Couldridge

Feedspot followFeedly follow

SCOTT QUIGG’S showdown with Viorel Simion has been ordered as an IBF World Featherweight eliminator on Saturday night at Wembley Stadium Connected by EE, live on Sky Sports Box Office.

Quigg returns to the UK to fight for the first time under new trainer Freddie Roach, and his clash with the Romanian now takes on even more importance following the IBF’s move.

Simion is ranked at number four in the IBF, one place ahead of the Bury ace, and the winner would take the two spot, and if Selby’s mandatory challenger Jonathan Barros is unavailable to fight the Welshman, then Saturday’s winner will meet Selby next.

“It’s a great opportunity for Scott and with the uncertainty over Jonathan Barros it’s very likely that the winner in Saturday will have to fight Lee Selby next,” said promoter Eddie Hearn. “It’s a fight Scott is targeting and one he would jump at so Saturday’s win now becomes even more vital.”

Quigg’s clash with Simion is part of a historic night of action on the sold-out blockbuster battle between IBF king Joshua and former lineal World ruler Klitschko, with the WBA and IBO straps also up for grabs, Luke Campbell MBE and Darleys Perez clash for the number one spot in the WBA, Irish sensation Katie Taylor faces Nina Meinke for the WBA Inter-Continental Lightweight title and World title eliminator and Team GB Rio Olympians Lawrence Okolie, Joe Cordina and Josh Kelly will draw lots to see who kicks off the historic night.

April 23, 2017
April 23, 2017
Shawn Porter

Ed Diller/Di Bella Entertainment

Feedspot followFeedly follow

SHAWN PORTER scored a ninth round stoppage of Andre Berto to become the WBC’s mandatory challenger to unified welterweight champion Keith Thurman in the main event of Showtime Championship Boxing, presented by Premier Boxing Champions, Saturday night on Showtime from Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

With the convincing victory, Porter potentially earns a rematch with Thurman, who he narrowly lost to last June in a 2016 Fight of the Year candidate at Barclays Center.

The welterweight matchup was a rough and tumble affair from the opening bell. Porter (27-2-1, 17 KOs) barrelled forward to smother the offense of Berto (31-5, 24 KOs), pounding Berto’s body at close range. A deep gash opened over Porter’s left eye from an accidental headbutt in the second, and another opened over his right eye just two rounds later. Porter’s constant aggression and effective body work seemed to frustrate Berto, who struggled to stay off the ropes.

An odd series of events unfolded in the opening minute of the ninth round. With Berto unsteady on his feet following another clash of heads, Porter pounced and floored the former champ with a left hook for his second knockdown of the fight. Berto got up, but Porter continued to connect with Berto against the ropes and referee Mark Nelson waved off the contest at 1:31. At the time of the stoppage, Porter had out-landed Berto 60-12 over the final two rounds.

“I have to clean up those head butts,” Porter said. “We tried to use the whole ring, but sometimes in the heat of the battle stuff happens. I’m a fighter and Mr. Berto is a fighter as well, those head butts were just the two of us going in and fighting.

“I thought I fought smart tonight. I thought I picked my punches well. There were times where I smothered my shots, but there were also times where I smothered him. He has a dangerous uppercut but we had a great game plan. This was a just very hard fought battle by both of us and I’m blessed to get the victory.”

After the fight, Berto admitted that Porter’s aggression and the accidental headbutts frustrated him.

“I have to give him credit, but he’s a rough fighter,” Berto said. “He has great skills but, at the same time, he was trying to be rough and trying to handle me anyway he could. I got a lot of headbutts, and he did too. Shawn is a tough competitor. We had a good competitive fight until the headbutts got to be a little too much for me. But I thought it was a really good fight before that.”

After the fight, Showtime Sports reporter Jim Gray asked Thurman, who was ringside for the eliminator, if he would grant Porter a rematch.

“His team was adamant about the rematch and now he’s fought his way to earning that,” Thurman said. “We just need to sit down and talk about. He’s hungry, you see the way he fights, it could be a great fight again.”

Answered Porter: “I was just up here wishing he said yes – that’s the fight I want next.”

Jermell Charlo defended his WBC super-welterweight world championship in dominant fashion with a devastating sixth-round knockout of mandatory challenger Charles Hatley in the co-main event.

Charlo (29-0, 14 KOs) landed the crisper shots from the opening bell, using a sharp left jab to set up a remarkably efficient straight right. The Houston native Charlo, the younger twin of undefeated former 154-pound champion Jermall, floored Hatley (26-2-1, 18 KOs) midway through the third with a textbook left-right combo that stunned his fellow Texan.

Charlo’s striking precision continued in fourth and fifth, before an onslaught of punches and a perfectly timed right to the chin sent Hatley falling face-forward to the canvas.  Referee Harvey Dock didn’t hesitate and instantly waved off the fight at 0-36 with Hatley out cold on the canvas.

The accuracy of Charlo’s jab was telling – he landed his jab at a 31 percent clip to set up his power shots, which connected at an impressive 52 percent. Overall, Charlo landed 42 percent of his total punches over nearly six full rounds of prizefighting.

“I used that jab to set up the right hand,” Charlo said. “I knew Charles Hatley goes down and he gets back up – he’s a warrior – and I knew I had to get in there and be a lion.

“Hatley was moving around a lot. He was trying to engage and I tried to tell him to come fight. When he finally got in there, that’s when I got him out. I’m the champ so I have to continue to fight my mandatory.  They got a guy named Jarret Hurd that took my brother’s title – we could unify.”

Amanda Serrano became the first women and the first Puerto Rican to win world titles in five weight divisions with an eighth-round TKO of Dahiana Santana to capture the vacant WBO women’s bantamweight world championship.

Serrano (32-1-1, 24 KOs) was the aggressor from the opening bell, moving forward and attacking with precision as Santana (35-9, 14 KOs) backed up and ate a steady diet of counter shots. Santana was deducted a point for clinching in the fourth, and had visible welts above both eyes following the seventh.

Serrano was connecting at an almost 3-1 power punch ratio when referee Benjy Esteves stepped-in to stop the bout at 1-14 of the eighth round.

“It means everything to me. We worked so hard. We worked hard for this moment,” Serrano said. “To be a five division world champion is amazing. To be the first female and first Puerto Rican is amazing.

“I’m so proud to be a Puerto Rican. I’m so proud to be a Showtime fighter. I’m just so happy for this moment. Just to be a five-division world champion, I could retire today and it’d be the happiest moment of my life. I’m just getting started. I hope I’m back again.”

In the opening bout, Jose Miguel Borrego (12-0, 11 KOs) knocked out a game John Delperdang (10-3, 9 KOs) at 2:07 of the seventh in a scheduled eight-round welterweight contest.

Borrego, who landed his uppercut at will throughout the bout, landed 229 power shots at a more than 50 percent clip in the action-packed bout.

April 22, 2017
April 22, 2017
Jamie Cox

Action Images

Feedspot followFeedly follow

JAMIE COX has signed a promotional deal with Matchroom Boxing.

The Commonwealth Games winner and former Commonwealth Light-Middleweight champion is gunning for major titles and the 30 year old penned the deal in Liverpool at the Echo Arena where he’s a keen ringside observer tonight.

The unbeaten Swindon banger is mandatory challenger for the winner of the clash between Rocky Fielding and John Ryder for the vacant British Super-Middleweight title, and Cox is relishing a clash with the winner as he begins a new chapter in his career.

“I’m excited to be working with Eddie Hearn and boxing on Sky Sports,” said Cox. “It’s a massive platform for me to showcase my skills. Eddie is putting the biggest shows on, especially at Wembley next week, and I want to be part of these huge nights.

“I’ll be boxing in the Super-Middleweight division, I feel strong, fit and explosive at that weight – I’m ready to rip my way through the 168lbers out there. I want to fight a big profile name ASAP, so the public can see what I’m all about. We will then push towards that World title shot in the next year to 18 months.

“I love training. We work under the butchers shop and I go up to the lab with Des Witter in Birmingham, I’m sure that if I play my part right and work hard, I will fulfil my potential with Eddie and Matchroom.

“I’ve been made mandatory to fight the winner of the British Super-Middleweight title fight between John Ryder and Rocky Fielding. I will fight anyone and of course that would be an honour to win that belt. I just can’t wait to get going and get back in the ring doing what I do best!”

“I’m delighted to welcome Jamie to the team and I’m very excited about his future,” said promoter Eddie Hearn. “Jamie is one of the hardest hitting 168-pounders in World boxing and is ready to go in all the big fights.

“He is mandatory for the winner of Fielding vs. Ryder tonight but we are also looking at some major names moving forward. He is brilliant to watch and Sky Sports fans are going to enjoy following his journey over the coming years.”