May 7, 2017
May 7, 2017
Canelo Alvarez

Tom Hogan/Hogan Photos/Golden Boy

Feedspot followFeedly follow

CANELO ALVAREZ and Gennady Golovkin faced off for the first time on Saturday night in Las Vegas, after announcing their September 16 mega-fight. The two had no overt hostility to one another but were calm in the knowledge that theirs should be a fight to remember.

Alvarez, who had been keen to emphasise he feared no one, is seemingly relaxed about taking on one of the sport’s most feared punchers. “I’m very happy that this fight is finally here, the one that [they] said would never be made. I’m very happy to give the fans another great fight, which is the only thing I want in my career,” Canelo declared.

While Golovkin is heavy handed and technically proficient, he is not invincible and Alvarez brings a potent style, featuring slick, offensive combinations, that should give Golovkin pause for thought. “I expect the fight to be explosive and powerful. The styles are there, they should mesh together. For my part that’s what you’re going to see,” Canelo said.

“The important thing is the fight’s done, it’s next.”

Golovkin has been waiting a long time for this moment and a showdown against a great fighter could potentially be GGG’s defining moment. “Right now for us this is the biggest fight in boxing,” said Gennady Golovkin. “Don’t miss this fight.

“A difficult fight for both of us. Two great champions, who wins [it’ll be] technical, tactical, all of it. Amazing fight.”