CANELO ALVAREZ (49-1-2, 34 KOs) and WBC and WBA middleweight world champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) will return to the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas for their historic 12-round rematch on Saturday, Sept. 15. The event will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View beginning at 8:00 p.m. ET/5:00 p.m. PT.
In September 2017, Canelo and GGG met in the ring for the first time across a competitive 12 rounds of action that ended in a split draw. The battle drew a record crowd for an indoor boxing event in Las Vegas, selling out T-Mobile Arena in less than two weeks and bringing legions of fans from Mexico to Kazakhstan and everywhere in between.
“The truth is that this fight means a lot to me because of all that has happened and all that has been said,” said Canelo Alvarez. “I will prove with my fists that I am the best, and Golovkin will eat all of his words and speculations. I will demonstrate who is the best when I defeat Golovkin soundly on September 15 during Independence Day Weekend, and I’ll make it clear that Mexican boxing is the best.”
Golovkin, the 36-year-old wrecking ball of Karaganda, Kazakhstan, was a dominant amateur standout and Olympic silver medallist before turning professional in 2006. Since then, Golovkin has been on an historic trajectory, knocking out one opponent after another to unify and retain several middleweight titles. During this run, Golovkin maintained an unblemished record that included a 23-fight knockout streak, which ended with a unanimous decision victory against Daniel Jacobs in March 2017. After going the distance against Canelo, Golovkin scored a second-round knockout victory against former 154-pound contender Vanes “Nightmare” Martirosyanin May of this year.
Gennady “GGG” Golovkin said, “I am happy that the deal is done and the rematch is back on. I am ready to get back to work in Big Bear with Abel. This is the biggest fight for boxing, the fight everyone wants. It is a fight to see who is best. It is for boxing history. I am happy to be defending my titles on Mexican Independence Day, a great stage for true Mexican-Style boxing. Canelo can walk to the ring last. Canelo can be introduced last. The important thing is who leaves the ring last, and that will be me, as world champion, the people’s champion. See you at the Big Drama Show.”
Oscar De La Hoya, CEO and Chairman of Golden Boy Promotions, said, “There is serious bad blood between these fighters. The fight is personal, and the stakes are high. Canelo will without a doubt want to shut Golovkin up, and the only way to do it is by knocking him out on September 15. I have no doubts that our champion will walk away with the victory.”
Tom Loeffler, promoter of Gennady “GGG” Golovkin, said, “It’s hard to believe that there could be bigger drama than the negotiations we just concluded to make the rematch – again. The rematch has a much bigger feel to it because of all the controversy and is the biggest fight in boxing. It’s also the third consecutive time Gennady has taken over a major Mexican holiday to showcase his exciting Mexican-Style of fighting. This rematch transcends a championship boxing match and has become an international sporting event where it will be shown in over 150 countries worldwide. Gennady is bringing his belts and his resolve to prove he is still the best middleweight of his era and boxing’s No. 1 pound for pound fighter. He won the first fight against Canelo in the eyes of millions of viewers who tuned in last September and he will do it again on Mexican Independence Day, with his record-breaking 21st consecutive title defense. It’s his destiny.”
Peter Nelson, Executive Vice President, HBO Sports, said, “The biggest fight of 2018 is now upon us: Canelo-GGG 2. On September 15, the rematch will prove middleweight and pound-for-pound supremacy. We are pleased to present it live by HBO Pay-Per-View.”