July 4, 2017
July 4, 2017
Callum Smith

Action Images

Feedspot followFeedly follow

LIVERPOOL super-middleweight Callum Smith is waiting for his world title shot to be finalised. He was meant to fight Anthony Dirrell for the now vacant WBC world title on September 9 in Los Angeles.

But the American’s team are trying to move the fight to Flint, his home town, to the day before what they thought had been agreed.

Smith’s promoter Eddie Hearn revealed, “We signed a contract for September 9 in LA, lodged it with the WBC. They came back on Wednesday and said we want to change the venue to September 8 in Flint, Michigan. We came back and said no. We’ve signed the contract for September 9 in LA. There’s no mechanism for changing the contract. That’s where it’s happening. People have booked flights, which they have.”

He continued, “We said to Mauricio Sulaiman we shouldn’t have to fight on September 8 in Flint. We’ve signed a contract. We’re waiting on a ruling. So the answer is September 9.”

The fight won’t be part of the new World Boxing Super Series, which will involve WBA world champion George Groves. “He’s not going in. Originally they were both going to go in and fight in the series. But then Dirrell says I’m not going in so Callum [won’t],” Hearn said.

Callum Smith