October 1, 2015
October 1, 2015
Adrien Broner

Stephanie Trapp/Showtime

Feedspot followFeedly follow

FORMER three-weight world champion Adrien Broner is continuing his vow of silence ahead of his clash with Khabib Allakhverdiev for the vacant WBA world super-lightweight title on Saturday [October 3].

The brash 26-year-old has been granted the opportunity at world honours in a fourth weight class off the back of a decision loss to Shawn Porter in June.

Known for his brazen actions outside the ring, ‘The Problem’ has reined in his enigmatic personality, having only said one word at the press conference to announce the fight with Allakhverdiev earlier this year.

Refusing to do interviews and keeping himself out of the limelight, Broner is snubbing the media after claiming he was unfairly only ever given bad press. Except Showtime, who will air the fight in the US, that is. In an interview with them, he claimed he is a changed man.

Allakhverdiev, a former owner of the WBA strap, is making no such boycott and insists he has no qualms with fighting in Broner’s hometown, Cincinnati, Ohio.

“I expect Broner to try to play his game, but we will play our game,” he said.
 
“The experience I gained after losing the title in my last fight [l UD 12 Jessie Vargas] is that I really understand the opportunity that I am being given going into this fight.
 
“I am not worried about fighting in Broner’s hometown.  I have fought many fighters in their own cities and it doesn’t bother me.
 
“On Saturday night, I will show the fans a great fight and come out with the victory.”