ABNER MARES intends to fight like a “monster” when he takes on Jesus Cuellar on June 25 having teamed up with new trainer Robert Garcia.
The 30-year-old teamed up with Garcia in December of last year, and is coming off the back of an exciting points reverse to WBA featherweight boss Leo Santa Cruz.
“I’ve been training with Robert since December. When the original March fight was postponed and I had a chance to fight Cuellar so we never really took a break,” he said.
“We did change our training regimen a bit to stay fresh, get stronger and work on some tactical and technical skills. Robert has a great eye and knowledge of the sport, having worked with so many fighters, including Cuellar. It gives me an advantage in preparation.”
Mares made the change in staff after his loss to Santa Cruz, and insists his partnership with the man behind the likes of Antonio Margarito and Marcos Maidana will be a fruitful one.
“I knew I needed to change my camp after the last fight. I felt that we had a solid camp but in the end, I didn’t stick to the plan and it resulted in a loss,” he said.
“I am a warrior, I’ll never give up, always come back. I am not afraid to take a fight. But I knew I needed a trainer whose plan I would have to follow versus having a trainer who would fit into mine. Robert and I come from similar backgrounds, his record speaks for itself and I know this partnership is going to deliver big wins.
“This is going to be a technical fight. Cuellar is a hard-hitting fighter and since the fight was made we’ve been preparing for a real battle. I have no personal vendetta against him, however I am excited to see what monster the Mares-Garcia combination has created and gets unleashed. My power and spirit are 1000 percent. Fans are going to see a fantastic, clean, technical fight.”